13th Century food & cooking

Moderator: Moderators

DeMeer

13th Century food & cooking

Postby DeMeer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi All,

I need help. The person who usually does our living history display is taking a year off and I have to take over but I dont know much about the food etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction for information so I dont look an idiot to the public. We are a 13th Century group 1250 to 1300.

Many Thanks
Sharron

Tangnef llaes serch

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Re: 13th Century food & cooking

Postby Bad Viking » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 am

OOOOhhh yes !! I would also be interested in this topic also !! :thumbup:
We do second crusade stuff and Norman invasions of Ireland periods.

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

ForTheMarshal
Location: Birmingham for me, nationwide groups for the society - PM for details

Postby ForTheMarshal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Also interested.

Click the image below for our website vvv
PM me if you have any questions or want to join/work with us

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

http://www.medievalcookery.com/

http://www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

Good starting places.

The Medieval cookery site actually allows you to click on "Easy" as well as showing the sources and periods so it's a great help when planning a menu. you can buy quite a lot of the spices from e-bay, loads of sellers offering long pepper, cubeb and grains of paradise as well as other useful things it's hard to find in Sainsburys!

I find it best to have a crack at any dishes before trying them on the LH, if you can practise cooking over a firebox in the back garden before doing anything at an event it helps (Cooking times are longer than over the gas at home, I remember spending hours trying to get a pottage to cook over charcaol a couple of years back with hungry reenactors prowling around with grumbling stomachs.)

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

DeMeer

Postby DeMeer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies and the websites.The problem I have always found is that when you I put 13th century food into a search bar doesnt come up with much but when I put medieval food there is a lot after our period, very frustrating :cry:

Tangnef llaes serch

lillicat23

Postby lillicat23 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

This is something I've been looking into lately. Most recipe books online aren't that specific about periods, so i've just ended up cobbling dishes together as best I can.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am

Another useful piece of advice is choose several dishes such as a meat dish and several vegetable dishes. Cooking smaller quantities makes it easier to ensure things are cooked on time. Also don't be afraid to precook things at home, particularly dishes like perre which involve looking pre-cooked pulses. For some dishes I cheat and use canned pulses (butter beans and foules mesdames which you can buy in middle eastern shops).

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Julia

Postby Julia » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Sophia wrote:Another useful piece of advice is choose several dishes such as a meat dish and several vegetable dishes.

This is what we do with our group. Because you get the modern anachronism of a vegetarian, we make a very meaty stew, and a very vegetably stew. Omnivores get a ladleful of both, vegetarians get one and a half of the vegetable.

The stew is a really easy way of catering with reasonable authenticity for a large number of people. With two cauldrons we typically cook for 30+ people.

J

shelby

Postby shelby » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Two of the youngsters in our group showed an interest in cooking this year and we found this site very useful.

http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/index.php

Shells

The St Cenydd Guard
"Vires in Fidelitas"

Return to “Food and Drink”