Vegetairian through choice?

Moderator: Moderators

LaydeIsabella

Vegetairian through choice?

Postby LaydeIsabella » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Any idea of the first record of vegetairism through choice? Is probably related to (a) religion (b) wealth or (c) if it's a fish, flesh or fast day?

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me.

nathan

Re: Vegetairian through choice?

Postby nathan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 am

At the risk of relying on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... _antiquity

I have read a number of non-primary sources mentioning Pythagoras (yup he of the triangles) as being vegetarian as were many of his followers so i don't believe it's wildly innacurate.

N.

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

TriciaT

Postby TriciaT » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Besides Pythagoras in Greece, there is also the cultures of Asia. In reading up, it seems like vegetarians go way back in history in Asia. It seems to have ties with the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism. As far as Western society and history, I believe Reverend William Cowherd is known as the founding father of vegetarianism. In fact, the word 'vegetarian' originated from him and his followers.

Tricia - Looking for online jewelry store that makes jewelry for re-enactors.

Lin

Postby Lin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

There's also the possibility of mutual cultural influences between Hellenistic Greece and Mahayana Buddhism and Hinduism, to a large extent because of Alexander the Great's conquests. Also contacts along the Silk Road in Roman times. Some people see links between Christianity and Buddhism as well. I've always found this an interesting subject and there's a good book I could recommend if I could remember the title!

NB Buddhism as I understand it does promote vegetarianism, but not harming other beings (or oneself) is the doctrinal viewpoint, which is a bit differerent.

Lynne

Lin

Postby Lin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

And Hi, Layde Isabella! Lovely to meet you at Tatton. x

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Thomas Tryon wrote the first English veggitarian cookbook late 17thC but, reading his many many self improvement books, he was an 'odd fellow'.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

gossip

Postby gossip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I've read loads of those things about buddhism and Pythagorus. But I also read that Sylvester Graham was one of the leading figures in the vegetarianism movement in Britain.

Do you think it's possible, however, that vegetarians actually existed in many places of the world without the idea originating from one place? I mean, do you think that somebody 'invented' not eating meat and then this spread or maybe there were several people who stopped eating meat and became popular for this in their respective parts of the world?

Gradon

Postby Gradon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 am

There are different views for becoming the vegetarians. Some people become vegetarian because of their religious thoughts, and others because their diet changes. Some people take veggies foods to lose their weight and enhance their fitness level.

Return to “Food and Drink”