Medieval apple and breadcrumb dessert ?

Moderator: Moderators

disgracelands

Medieval apple and breadcrumb dessert ?

Postby disgracelands » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 am

Hi, a friend of mine was telling me about a recipe he had years ago which was a pudding using apples and breadcrumbs and possibly oats and I would love to try it but he can't remember how it was made exactly. I just wondered whether anyone on here knows of a recipe like that please? He thought it was medieval but wasn't totally sure. Sorry to be so vague.
Also, could anyone please recommend a medieval recipe/cook book or booklet I could buy. Not so much 'grand' food but more the type of thing everyday people might have eaten.
Thank you for taking the time to look at this and any help is greatly appeciated.
Sonia x

matilda

Re: Medieval apple and breadcrumb dessert ?

Postby matilda » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 am

not sure about medieval, but sounds like a pudding of my childhood, we used to call it apple charlotte. Mix suet, breadcrumbs and sugar together, layer in a dish with sliced apples, finishing with the breadcrumbs on top, dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice.

Can't remember the qauntities off the top of my head - pm me a reminder and I can get you the details!

eat with lots of cream :)

Denise

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows - Jennifer Yane

Bittersweet

Postby Bittersweet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:42 am

Sounds like Charlotte to me too but I don't know whether or not it's medieval.

6oz breadcrumbs, 6oz suet and 4oz brown sugar should do about 2lb apples apparently. Add the grated rind of a lemon for a bit of zing. Layer in a dish that's been buttered and covered with toasted bradcrumbs to give a bit of a 'crust' to the outside.
If it's pressed in the dish you're supposed to be able to turn it out a bit like a cake........

So endeth the lesson from Mrs Beeton. Not tried it myself so I hope it works....good luck.

Why can't life be simple?

disgracelands

Postby disgracelands » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks Matilda and Bittesweet, maybe it isn't Medieval at all lol, he may have been mistaken on that I guess, but it sounds nice anyway. I will also continue the search for a Medieval recipe book.
Thank you again for your help. x

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:25 pm

There's also Apple Muse, this recipe from http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/applemuse.html uses breadcrumbs as well as almond milk to thicken it. Should come out like a thick pink porridge. (My eldest lad would eat it all day!)

2 apples
1 cup almond milk
4 Tbsp. honey
1 cup (2 slices) bread crumbs
1 tsp. sandalwood
pinch saffron
dash salt

Peel, core, and slice apples. Boil them until soft and then press them through a sieve. Add almond milk, honey, bread crumbs, saffron, sandalwood, and salt and simmer. Serves 4.

Source [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, T. Austin (ed.)]: .lxxix. Apple Muse. Take Appelys an sethe hem, an Serge hem thorwe a Sefe in-to a potte; thanne take Almaunde Mylke & Hony, an caste ther-to, an gratid Brede, Safroun, Saunderys, & Salt a lytil, & caste all in the potte & lete hem sethe; & loke that thou stere it wyl, & serue it forth.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Captain Reech wrote:My eldest lad would eat it all day!

So would I; it sounds lovely.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Auntie Rachel of the Buckinghams makes the best I've ever tried!

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Return to “Food and Drink”