Need Help: simple medieval food

Moderator: Moderators

Brendan_the_lesser

Need Help: simple medieval food

Postby Brendan_the_lesser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey I'm running a medieval weekend for a Cub Scout group and am trying to get one or two simple dishes that i can get them to make. They are between 7 and 11 so have fairly short attention spans, especially in big groups so the simpler the better. I think the taste and simplicity is more important than historical accuracy for this so any medieval-ish dishes will do.
Thanks for any help!
Brendan

If anyone needs me i'll be spinning in my grave...

sally
Post Knight

Re: Need Help: simple medieval food

Postby sally » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 pm

what about ymbre day tarte? Its essentially a green cheese and onion quiche, and you can introduce some medieval tastes by adding saffron to the mix.

Use ready made pastry for simplicity- roll out and line a flan tin
very finely chop an onion and sprinkle it into the dish
chop up a small brie or camembert and sprinkel into the dish
whip a couple of eggs into some cream, add a pinch of saffron and a little pepper, and pour over
bake until golden, cool before slicing.

Its very simple to make and goes down well with most youngsters

Eve

Postby Eve » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Gingerbread

Fresh Bread crumbs
Warm honey
Ground Ginger
Ground pepper

Mix enough honey with bread so it just sticks together - too much and it becomes rather too sticky. Add ground ginger and pepper. Mix very well and press into a flatish dish. Cool. Cut into small squares. Add enough pepper to give a bit of a kick to it.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Eve wrote:Gingerbread

Fresh Bread crumbs
Warm honey
Ground Ginger
Ground pepper

Mix enough honey with bread so it just sticks together - too much and it becomes rather too sticky. Add ground ginger and pepper. Mix very well and press into a flatish dish. Cool. Cut into small squares. Add enough pepper to give a bit of a kick to it.

When we do this we use cinnamon, pepper, saffron, grains of paradise and nutmeg, and no ginger, (it ends up tasting like ginger, just doesnt have any in).
Put the spices into the honey as it warms up, its easier to get them well distributed than adding them after its a paste.

Lots of possible variations on this recipe as well, I did one this weekend with honey, breadcurmbs and lots of ground almonds, all squidged into a paste then rolled into balls, tasted yummy :D

Brendan_the_lesser

Postby Brendan_the_lesser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, i'll give em a trial run during the week see how they come out.
Thanks! and any more suggestions are welcome
Brendan

If anyone needs me i'll be spinning in my grave...

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 am

Omelette aux fines herbes:

Take 16 eggs and beat them together, add chopped dittany, rue, tansy, mint, sage, marjoram, fennel, parsley, beets, violets, spinach, lettuce and pounded ginger. Cook and serve.

Reduce the number of eggs to suite the pan you are using and dried mixed herbs can be used instead of fresh, but throwing in some chopped lettuce and flower petals (there are still English marigolds in my own garden for example) makes it something out of the ordinary.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

eaw458

Postby eaw458 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Frumenty!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am

eaw458 wrote:Frumenty!

If you search on google you can find pearled spelt which is a form of wheat and is what furmenty should be made of.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Return to “Food and Drink”