Carob a.k.a. St John's Bread

Moderator: Moderators

bonnacon

Carob a.k.a. St John's Bread

Postby bonnacon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 am

I have used carob powder quite happily in a number of dishes and at a number of banquets over the years, introducing it as a "mediaeval chocolate".

It appears listed in one or two of my historical cookbook recipes but until a couple of weeks ago I hadnt realised that the author did not include any documentary or other references supporting its inclusion.

Wikipaedia lists many facts about carob, from its being eaten in ancient Egypt to being used as animal fodder in the Iberian peninsula, via becoming a cough syrup in Malta and an important source of sugar before cane and beet sugar became available.

Etc etc etc

However, I can't find any provenanced source to support its use in English mediaeval cookery - one single original recipe with it included would be fantastic.

Does anyone know of any such, please and thankyou?

Vivimus vivamus!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Re: Carob a.k.a. St John's Bread

Postby gregory23b » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Medicinal use, good for treating Farmer Giles.

a1400 Lanfranc (Ashm 1396) 291/26,28: Helpe him with trociscus de carabe, þat ben gode for to restreine flux of blood of emeroides..Recipe, carabe, gummi nucis, [etc.].
?a1425 *Chauliac(1) (NY 12) 94b/b: Rasis in streynyng commaunded for to ministre torcisc de carabe [*Ch.(2): pilotes of karabe; L trocis de karabe].

?c1425 *Chauliac(2) (Paris angl.25) 150a/b: If þere were putte þerto..antymonye, carabe [L charabe], an ceruse..it were þe bettre.

?a1425 *Chauliac(1) (NY 12) 83a/b: R[ecipe]..carabel aduste [*Ch.(2): brynt carabyl], And þat is rede erþe as smal as grauel.

a1500(?a1425) Lambeth SSecr.(Lamb 501) 85/10: Take of..þe Meoule Carroble de babilone þe ferthe part of a Rote.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

bonnacon

Re: Carob a.k.a. St John's Bread

Postby bonnacon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 am

. . . . . . I might have known . . . . .

:D thanks !!

Vivimus vivamus!

Return to “Food and Drink”