Looking to source a suckling pig

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Reech

Looking to source a suckling pig

Postby Captain Reech » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm hoping to have a bash at a 'Cockatrice' for a feast and I wondered if anyone had a good source for suckling pig (whole but properly dressed for cooking) in the Midlands (preferably delivered as I think I'd look a bit odd on the motorbike with a pig strapped to my back...)

Many thanks in advance!

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: Looking to source a suckling pig

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm

T'would be daft to suggest your local butcher, but ours seems to be able to get pretty much whatever you want, if you smile sweetly and explain why...but I don't think he'd post it to you :wink:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:00 am

Sadly the proper 'Local Butcher' I used to rely on for odd medieval type things (He did a friend of mine a Goose stuffed with a Duck, stuffed with a Pigeon which was gorgeous)retired last year and his son works for a large Supermarket chain and didn't want to take a pay cut to take on his Dad's business : (

I think I may have found a chap in Burton I used to source game from but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

KedlestonCraig

Postby KedlestonCraig » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Captain Reech wrote:Sadly the proper 'Local Butcher' I used to rely on for odd medieval type things (He did a friend of mine a Goose stuffed with a Duck, stuffed with a Pigeon which was gorgeous)retired last year and his son works for a large Supermarket chain and didn't want to take a pay cut to take on his Dad's business : (

I think I may have found a chap in Burton I used to source game from but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Wirksworth, Heanor and Belper are your local farmers' markets (one on each of the first three Saturdays of the month)
This place in Bakewell
http://thefarmersmarketshop.co.uk/

There's a good butcher in Duffield but we tend to shop at Walter Smith's in the Derby market for convenience

I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Craig is eating for two now.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 am

That's OK, I've yet to run out of pottage at an event!

Return to “Food and Drink”