Squirrels!!

Moderator: Moderators

HegeWych

Squirrels!!

Post by HegeWych »

Ok, so my neighbour pops round with a handful of squirrels last night (he's a tree something or other and has been off vermin shooting).

I am going to tan the skins, but would like to do something with the meat (they are nice fat woodland squirrels) rather than dispose of.

I have not tried squirrel yet - am just freezing at the moment and maybe taking along to camp later in the year.

So the question is, any favourite or authentic (15c) recipies?

Thanks for your help.
On the Naughty Step since 1965!

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Squirrels!!

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Le Menagier de Paris says: "Squirrels are singed, gutted, trussed like rabbits, roasted or put in pastry: eat with cameline sauce or in pastry with wild duck sauce."

Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard says: "Squirrel meat is healthy. Know also that any meat is the healthier the younger it is. It should also be neither too fat nor too lean."

Langley
Post Centurion

Post by Langley »

I aksed Lady L. Her reply was "Use the same recipe you would for Rat...". So, lots of tomato ketchup then if Terry Pratchett is to be believed. I would have thought rabbit recipes would be wortha a try especially something like the Flemish Rabbit in Beer - something like Lefe Brune is best and long slow cooking to tenderise the little darlings. No eating red ones...

Cathy the slayer

Post by Cathy the slayer »

this one has been tested personally, :D
SQUIRREL CASEROLE
4 squirrel's
4 slices finely chopped fat bacon (Streaky) or the fat off a bacon joint
1 large onion
3 carrott's
turnip or swede, cubed
2 stick's celery
2 bay leaves
small bunch of thyme
large pinch celery seed's
1teaspoon lightly crushed mustard seed's or 1tsp french mustard
1 pint water, or mix of water/redwine/port
Render fat in large frying pan until a mix of fat & crispy bit's, do not overheat or burn,remove crispy bit's leave to one side
Quarter squirrell's & brown in pan add onion, carrott's & celery cook on low heat for ten min's
all other ingriedient's heat in a pan, simmer
drain squirrell then transfer to caserole dish add other ingredient's, cover with liqid mix
cook gasmark 5 for 2 hour'sor until meat tender, if getting dry add a small amount of boiling water
serve with crispy bit's on top
Discounts for re-enactors on Bespoke Hand Made Frames for all sorts of artwork, fabrics & objects, from thimbles to swords, Fine art Guild member

HegeWych

Post by HegeWych »

Thanks very much for the recipes - looking forward to having a go.
Ta
C
On the Naughty Step since 1965!