Has anyone heard of...

Moderator: Moderators

Loaflady

Has anyone heard of...

Postby Loaflady » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 pm

'The Brewers Book, Norwich 1468-9'
It's referenced in 'English Bread and Yeast Cookery' by Elizabeth David. I want to check a quote from it. I have Googled, Google Scholar and Google Books (only results give the same ref, which makes me think they've got it from Elizabeth David,) done library searches and contacted the British Library. No joy so far. Has anyone heard of it, or can anyone point me to any more info?
I want to verify that yeast was known as 'goddisgoode', 'bicause it cometh of the grete grace of God.' It's not in the OED either! :crazy:
Thank you.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Has anyone heard of...

Postby Brother Ranulf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Sorry, I don't know the book but the term appears in the Middle English dictionary under the entry for "God":

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med ... d=MED18945

Go to section 4c.

Edit; the citation given with that entry refers to your source as an article in Norfolk Archaeology volume 5:

"Berme, otherwise clepid goddis good, withoute tyme of mynde hath frely be goven..to ye value only of a ferthyng..bicause it cometh of ye grete grace of God."

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Loaflady

Postby Loaflady » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Thank you so much! It's been driving me mad for weeks.

Fairfax

Postby Fairfax » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:25 am

In England in the 1468 - 9 Brewers Book of Norwich, the name for barm was goddisgoode because it was made by the blessing of God. In the absence of understanding, God was invoked as the great provider.

Loaflady

Postby Loaflady » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Thank you!
I traced the reference from Brother Ranulf's post. Turns out it's from a document held in the Norfolk Records Office and is a 1720 copy of an older (now lost) document - Ye Book of Ye Clerke of Ye Market. And very interesting it is too!

Return to “Food and Drink”