10 fat pigeons

Moderator: Moderators

Fillionous

10 fat pigeons

Postby Fillionous » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 pm

I have a really nice bod who lives across the road who happens to do a bit of shooting... Having expressed my interest in game he has taken to giving me a cut of his catch.

Usually I either pluck, clean etc and eat that evening or he has already dressed the beasties and I can choose to freeze or eat.

But today he has given me 10 wood pigeons - far more than I have delt with before, more than I can pluck draw etc in the time I have, more than I can eat tonight and definitly more than will fit in the freezer...

Any one any ideas what to do with them...
I don't want to let them go to waste... I am going to the boot camp at the weekend and am already up to my eye-balls packing... so the solution needs to be quick and probably space saving.

Thanks

Be bright, be bold
Fillionous

Orathanni tal ka Zarness - Blessings of the Stars
http://shieldmaiden.co.uk - for heraldry, shields and banners.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Ok, treat them as you would road kill birds- don't worry about gutting or plucking, go straight for the usable bits.

Lat them on their back with feet towards you, pinch the skin above the vent, inset sharp knife, and 'unzip them', just like undoing a coat ntil you can peel back the skin over the breast. Remove breast fillets, peel back skin over legs, cut round jount and twist off leg portions. You'll have two breast fillets and two legs per bird to freeze

This takes less than 5 minutes a bird, and you just bin the rest. Yes, it wastes some, but if you are pushed for time it really works

leonturner

Postby leonturner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm

As per Sally's excellent advice above - but to take another 4 minutes out of the operation, just rip the entire keel/breastbone out with the breasts still attached. I cut through the ribs with scissors to get a neater joint, but just tearing the thing out works too (but it isnt pretty!)
Bon appetite!
Leon.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am

Check out Hugh Furry-Washingstool's River Cottage website for some good wild pigeon receipes, too. Says the veggy... :lol:

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Return to “Food and Drink”