What's in Season

Moderator: Moderators

Wiblick

What's in Season

Postby Wiblick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:53 am

I've tried purchasing various books to find out what's truly in season - you know to get an idea of what would have been available to medieval types. But these books, they mention turkey! and all sorts of other things that are no good to me. Suppose I'll just have to sit down and sift through it.

Frustrating though.

Oranges I see are in season now...

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 pm

As always, depends what you mean by "medieval". For the early part of the period (up to about the 13th century) Ann Hagen's books on Anglo-Saxon food and drink are excellent sources (including such exotica as peacocks which were apparently eaten pre-Conquest). they include lists of foods/herbs etc and when they are available/in season.

Most of these would continue to apply after the 13th century, but then more and more exotic spices/fruits/meats would be available as well from foreign climes and new ways of preparing foods would also apply.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Maerwynn

Postby Maerwynn » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:51 pm

How about this website: http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/ ? It lists all sorts of exotica but you can just ignore these.

Maerwynn

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:55 pm

I posted this message and then got distracted by pomanders & still rooms, but this is something I want to get back to in the New Year.

That does seem to be the best & most 'local' of the what's in season websites, thanks.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Also, from the depths of the allotment i can report
Kale of all sorts
sprouts
parsnips
old white carrots (big and a bit woody now)
old beetroot (need cooking and slicing)
Salsify
Parsley and most potherbs, but not mint, balm or the scented sages. Regular sage is ok.
Surprisingly still have some chard and greens to cut, but much less. Also a few bronze lettuces, but one more hard frost and they're history.
Broad bean tops. Peas grown for foliage not pods.
Rocket, but only useful as a herb-quite peppery and bitter now, as is the sorrel.
Neighbour's hens and bunnies seem well.
Dat's all, folks.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:26 pm

I grew white carrot this year, in raised beds. Ran out of modern carrot for a casserole in the week and was amazed to find some white ones still in perfect condition and untouched by slugs or beetles - apparently the raised beds baffle carrot fly as they don't fly very far off the ground. Nutty and sweet, the ones from Nicky's Nurseries. Highly recommended.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:06 pm

They're nice, aren't they? I'm bidding for some from the seed library people this time round that are white and green, and were apparently bred to be given to horses as treats... :D

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Return to “Food and Drink”