Traditional School Meals help please!

Moderator: Moderators

The Gingerbread Lady

Traditional School Meals help please!

Postby The Gingerbread Lady » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi there, I hope some of you can help me!

I know this isn't strickly speaking 'old' history but i hope it's ok to post this message.

As well as my own gingerbread and cakes business I run a charity cafe two days per week (providing work experience for young adults with learning difficulties) and have been set a challenge which has left me a bit stumped...

I have to provide a load of school inspectors with a buffet around traditional school meals. The venue is a few miles away from the cafe prep area and i cannot guarantee i can get hot food delivered to arrive hot (and safe to eat!). So that i don't poison anyone with semi warm food i am looking for any ideas that can be used as cold food.

Apart from cold cabbage and lumpy custard(!) do any of you have any suggestions as to what we could serve that is in keeping with the theme?

Gingerbrede washed down with mead - it can't get much better than this!

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:19 am

Coronation Chicken was developed for Eton as they couldn't use the kitchens to cook in,for some reason, during a Royal visit and so flavoured mayonaise with tumeric and slapped it on precooked chicken. Maybe a bit too posh though...

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

lez

Postby lez » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:14 am

Any pudding made from Suet, ie spotted dick with ice cream, as for main meal, what about a quiche ( egg flan any filling like sardines or plain with sparce cheese ) and salad ( home grown) plus cold boiled potatoes, with a little butter for taste, with marmite sarnies, or corn beef loaf?

lez

Postby lez » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:25 am

Is this meant for a modern school meal? If it is God help you...............cause all we recommend is all from our eras we re-enact.
Which is easier as we dont count carbs, salts, fats and energy factors.

Bittersweet

Postby Bittersweet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:14 am

Spam :cry:

Why can't life be simple?

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:26 am

I think one of the puds that my mum makes came from school dinners. It's a cornflake flan - flan base with raspberry jam and topped with cornflakes which has been mixed with syrup. It's very yummy!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Mark GRaves

Postby Mark GRaves » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:21 am

a couple of thoughts:

luncheon meat (i.e. posh spam) salad - I can remember that was my first school dinner in the 60's

Manchester tart (I think) - baked pastry case, layer of jam, fill up with custard, sprinkle with coconut. Serve cold.

Fruit salad served with (re-)diluted condensed milk

Mark Graves
The Household , &,

Conroi du Burm - "The Conroi du Burm is not dead, just sleeping under a hill until needed."

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 pm

CHOCCY CRUNCH AND PINK CUSTARD!!!!!!!
(Use a floury shortbread recipe with an egg yolk to bind, and plenty of chocolate powder. These days they add oats for nutrishinul thingy.But the eggyolk (to every large batch) is the secret as to the 'fresh set concrete' texture.)

Butterscotch tart, made by cooking up demmyrarer sugar with evaporated milk and a touch of school catering marge intil it 'soft-ball'-s.Then pour into a precooked pastry case. Hideously sweet, but still going strong.

We also have a halal cook who does amazing curry, but I think that that's quite unusual outside of Brum/Leicester/etc.The savoury non-halal food is quite 'bread rolls and fish cakes and green beans and pasta'...the weird combos that are nutritionally sound and that kids love, but adults get sniffy about.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

The Gingerbread Lady

School Meals

Postby The Gingerbread Lady » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:15 pm

Aha! PINK CUSTARD - I remember now!

Many thanks for all your suggestions, menu suggestions have been submitted and I am waiting for the confirmation from those that pay the bill.

We may also be doing a 'double whammy' and having a themed day at the cafe to raise funds for Children In Need as well.

Thanks again
x :D

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:18 am

TGL

Sounds like your cafe is similar to KT's in Kentish Town, not sure if it still runs, but did some work with clients there long time back.

The Gingerbread Lady

Postby The Gingerbread Lady » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:55 am

oooh - tell me more, would be great to share ideas etc

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Summat I saw the other day that brought back memories- corned beef pie.

Corned beef and mash banged together then covered with a pastry lid.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:13 pm

yep corned beef pie

coronation chicken is simple and well tasty

esp with proper chutney

a good soup use a flask I ahve one big enough to feed 4 which i take away with me

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

gytha fiona

Postby gytha fiona » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:41 am

Sausage Meat Flan.

Shortcrust pastry base spread with sausage meat and topped with slices of tomato. I doubt you'll ever manage to find sausages with the same lurid pink colour and total lack of taste today though.

Egg and Bacon Pie

Again short crust pastry base. Chuck in strips of cooked streaky bacon, pour in seasoned egg and milk mix, top with a short crust pastry lid. (Don't forget to put a vent hole in the centre)

Return to “Food and Drink”