one place for everything re-enactment online hub

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Baroc

one place for everything re-enactment online hub

Post by Baroc »

Hey there, Baroc here. A friend of mine and myself are building a global platform ( starting with the UK) that is a like an online village. There you can find things from clothes, catering, to re-enactment groups and even animals and building materials. Reason why we are doing this as because we been recently to another country and needed some gear for re-enactment and had no idea where to look for it. It will have a free advertising for businesses but also premium (affordable) paid advertising - yeah paying does suck but it's a lot of work and it costs to keep it online.

Just wondering how people in this community feels about it?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Graham S Cooley

Re: one place for everything re-enactment online hub

Post by Graham S Cooley »

As always this sort of thing sounds like a really good idea. However, your biggest problem is getting people to recognise it as the place to go. Few are going to give you any money until you can demonstrate that you have both the site and the visitors to the site to make it worth while.

Unfortunately you are going to have to invest quite a bit of time and effort building the platform and marketing (going to events to tell people, emails, notices etc...) to get it used.

Once you have the site established then it will hopefully just get bigger and better. I wish you all the veyr best and look forward to seeing your marketing telling us where to go and what you have.

Graham

40/- freeholder

Post by 40/- freeholder »

Annie the Pedlar and Lucy the Tudor, who used to be active on here, ran the online Tudor market www.tudormarket.co.uk
Might be worth contacting them for feedback on that. I'm not sure whether it's still active.
Annie also set up Class History for those of us who do school visits www.classhistory.co.uk. It's years since I've been asked for a sub so I assume that's no longer active.
If you search the archive here, the Scentaur tried having an online retail presence in a large Fantasy/Larp landscape website but encountered unexpected problems.
Someone else, whose moniker escapes me (possibly Iron Dwarf?), tried setting up a re-enactors' version of Ebay but that didn't last long. Again a search through the archives here should locate the topic and drawbacks encountered.

Baroc

Post by Baroc »

Thanks guys, It has been a dream now since early last year. I travel sometimes and my wife forgot part of her costume for a Castle Festival we were attending. It was hell trying to find something in the area in Belgium with-in a week. Sadly we did not find anything. She mentioned we need a large hub that has everything in it online. I understand it will be a long haul. But I have started this site with 2 other friends http://www.reenactmenthub.com . Check it out and see what you think. It is only a few days old. Cheers.

Graham S Cooley

Good start. It will be interesting to see how it develops adn how you gradually change the site as you get feed back.

G

madjon

Post by madjon »

A few variants on the idea have been tried over the years, its a good idea and would be useful, but, the dreaded Facebook has killed off many living history websites, group sites and forums, usually replaced with a private fb group site as well, so details aren't public, last year I had to send in an entry form to a show, which you could only get if you knew the person organising it and were on their fb group, then they complained people weren't sending in forms, websites and forums have largely gone out of fashion, which is annoying, there has also been a change in communications away from public advertising of events, that darned fb post thing again, many moons ago, I used to spend time looking through hundreds of posts, business and period links here before the fb zombiepocalypse, pulling people out of the fb zone may be the challenge, the nearest to business/group directories at present are the lists on historical resources for TV/film work, finding stuff now is certainly a challenge.

Graham S Cooley

I don't do facebook. I have enough login things to worry about without another one.

Unfortunately I have found that others find the faceache thing useful and hence there is informaiton that I no longer receive because it is "posted on facebook site". Becasue I refuse to sign up to this I am no longer included.
It is a shame and I accept I am in the minority, but I agree that personally I find the face book expansion detrimental in some respects.

Perhaps it is just me in that I just don't get it...................