Interacting with MOPS?

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

SteveC

Interacting with MOPS?

Postby SteveC » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:33 pm

In the spirit of cal's post here, this is my post for October.

My group were recently at a village event, basically a large fete but with a bit of re-enactment added. We use a corner of the car-park field for a living history display and do a couple of drill displays and the like as part of the main event. It's actually a much better event than that makes it sound.

As we were packing up this year, one of the organisers came up to us and was being very enthusiastic about our display. She said it was much better than the previous year where the re-enactors were roped off from the public and people couldn't go and see what they were doing in their tents and so on. They could see in, but not get close, not like the 'naughty' space most of us need to hide the modern stuff.
Now the major enjoyment I get from the hobby is talking to the public and explaining what we do, so I found this a bit weird.
Is anyone here part of a group who behave like that? If so, what's the logic/thinking behind it? I'm not intending to criticise, there are different ways of doing things and of enjoying the hobby; I'd just like to know.

40/- freeholder

Re: Interacting with MOPS?

Postby 40/- freeholder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm happy to talk to MOPS if they initiate the interaction, on an Enquire Within basis. What I don't do, because I don't like being on the receiving end, is the Ancient Mariner approach.
I have eyes to see and a civil tongue in my head, so I expect the same from my audience.

Ne'erdowell
Post Centurion

Postby Ne'erdowell » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Interacting with the public is a basic part of the hobby and I've never heard of any reenactment group who refuse to do so. If reenactors rope off their display, it isn't to put a barrier between them and the public, it is to put a barrier between their stuff and the public. Some groups like to give MoPs and their kids an opportunity to actually handle anything they may have in their display, tools, pieces of clothing, bits of armour, weapons, whatever. Other groups don't share that approach and prefer MoPs not to pick up and finger (and break) their stuff without asking first. They may want to use some rope, so they don't have to play museum attendant and tell people off all the time.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm

If I am ever lucky to actually be able to attend an event and someone comes up to me and asks me what I am, I am only to happy to explain that I am a gentleman of the Caroline era (doffing my hat as I do so), explain what the Caroline era is, some of the things that I would normally do and just generally have a natter with them.

Return to “Friends and Gossip”