Fabri Armorum (Jiri Krondak) Feather Sword Blade Type

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

lambton314

Fabri Armorum (Jiri Krondak) Feather Sword Blade Type

Postby lambton314 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a sword made by Fabri Armorum and just wanted to ask here if anyone had experience with their 'feather' blades. I own a longsword by them which I think is their 'slim' variant and I absolutely love it.

My main concern is with how well these 'feather' blades hold up in combat (do they burr too easily and so on). I regularly do blade-on-blade re-enactment combat and am wondering if such a blade would be suitable, or if it would be better to go for the 'slim' variant.

Would be great to hear from someone with experience of the feather blades.

Any advice welcomed, thanks in advance for your help!

Pierre

Re: Fabri Armorum (Jiri Krondak) Feather Sword Blade Type

Postby Pierre » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi, sorry for late response as i don't check this board as much as the others.

I own two Fabri swords neither of which are 'feather bladed'. One i haven't 'used in anger' yet lol but the other is very bad for burring and edge damage so much so that i am loathe to use it in our tournaments against Gamby clad opponents as i reckon it could rip through the material. The 15th c society i am in do full contact fighting and i personally would prefer to use my armour class or Paul Binns blades...yes they burr, but upon running your hand down the blade to check edge damage the burrs are more rounded in profile and not jagged and don't draw blood!!!

Hope this helps.

lambton314

Postby lambton314 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Thank you Pierre, that's really helpful! I'd imagine if the full blades burr that badly then the feather ones won't do any better

Pierre

Postby Pierre » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm

No problem.
It may be that the blade wasn't heat treated as well, i don't know as i ordered it through a third party and heard nothing for around 8 months then gave them a nod and surprisingly it turned up a month later....Not saying it was a rushed job for a 'forgotten customer' as Jiri has a good reputation which is why i purchased this one, and as i mentioned before i have a second Fabri Armorum blade but have not used it yet and may be better. The one that burrs easily has a very nice ring to it when blocking compared with my opponents blades...is that a clue why it burrs so easily, i don't know. Have a look on sword forum, they may have some posts.

Pierre.

Pierre

Postby Pierre » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Actually don't go on sword forum, the site appears to be down and full of nasty stuff for want of a better word!

My Armoury had this post about Jiri's feather blades but i bet you have already seen it.

http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.31744.html

Return to “Friends and Gossip”