Looking for The White Company

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Ellen Gethin

Looking for The White Company

Postby Ellen Gethin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 am

A friend of mine was looking through his photo archive, and found some pictures he'd taken at Tretower Court, near Crickhowell, Powys, in 1988. They were of a medieval re-enactment group called The White Company, and he thought it might be nice if he could track them down and give them the pictures. Does anyone here know of anyone who has been in the White Company? I've looked online, and I don't think they exist as a group any more. They're really good photos, with a couple of kids there who will be all grown up now.

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Barter

Re: Looking for The White Company

Postby Barter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Not trying to be funny but have you tried contacting Zen Bell from THE BLACK COMPANY - web page states he has 30 years experience of re-enacting in the South West so my know something ..... email info@the-black-company.org.uk

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the idea! I'm also asking around other re-enactment friends.

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."

JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I used to be in the White Company many moons ago, late 80's/early 90's, though I do think the group is now no longer an entity. Shame as I had some great times and their particular style has yet to be emulated by any group over here. I think quite a few members went over to the Company of St George and the Perrys I believe went in to their own wargames miniature business. I also remember seeing one of them at a market wearing Tudor kit.
Anyway, just my couple of groats!

Neil

Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks, Neil! Do you remember any fair haired kids? There are a boy and a girl in the pictures my friend Huw took, maybe brother and sister?

JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

Cant place anyone in particular, I remember the now sadly gone Roger Stirling-Brown, Steve Dransfield, Clive Bartlett of course and then the Staffords who broke away to do their own thing with Livery & Maintenance, their Captain being Paul Hitchin. No doubt if I saw faces I would remember!! I used to knock around with Dave McGrath and Stu Ford who were also in, Dave eventually going off to live in France at Le Puy en Valey. Sadly I dont have any pics myself as I was far too involved in taking part at the time and making a photographic diary was far from my mind.
Too many camp fires between then and now!!! Happy days though! :thumbup:

Neil :D

Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you! That's really helpful!

JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Sadly went the way of all things some time ago, members heading off to pastures new in the late 90's i think. I was Chairman for a few years. The Black Company has no connection as far as I'm aware.

Would love to see the pics! There was a large archive held by me for a while but it was passed on. To who and where I don't know.

Many members went pro in their various fields although the Perrys always were involved in wargaming figures at the same time and probably earlier as far as I know. Tretower was the site of many fine events and that '88 one was one of the greatest.

More details from me at mark@griffinhistorical.com.

And thanks to Paul Murphy for pointing me towards this :-)

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Friends and Gossip”