New member - medieval music

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

mem001

New member - medieval music

Postby mem001 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi
Just wanted to say hello. I'm interested in getting into Medieval re-enactment as a musician. I'm a string and wind player (viol, cello, violin, double bass, flute, recorder) and I love medieval music. I've found loads of resources by scouring the internet and am now equipped with troubadour songs, estampies, salterellos and many more. My wife plays drums and we are about to start investing in some medieval instruments - rebec, pipe & tabor etc. All we need now is to make our kirtles and get out there!

Mary

40/- freeholder

Re: New member - medieval music

Postby 40/- freeholder » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:16 am

Welcome! Whereabouts in the country are you based?

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to settle on a specific time period within the medieval, since instruments, clothing and available music evolved and changed considerably. For example the rebec of the 12th century was broad and shallow, with D-shaped sound holes:

rebec.JPG

This was produced (I believe) by Scottish maker Chris Elmes some years ago, sadly no longer making instruments for sale - it would be almost impossible to find another 100% authentic 12th century rebec like this today. Later English rebecs were narrow and deep, with different sound holes, like those available from the Early Music Shop: http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.a ... rano-rebec

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

saracen

Postby saracen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:24 am

Well, no, it's not impossible to get an authentically created rebec. Get in touch if you need any suggestions of makers! While I'm here, can I also alert you to 'Medieval Music in the Dales' - every September, at Bolton Castle in Yorkshire - performances, instrument makers, sessions, dance, workshops. Website currently being updated but Facebook page to get updates: http://www.facebook.com/medievalmusicinthedales.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:54 pm

mem001 wrote:Hi
Just wanted to say hello. I'm interested in getting into Medieval re-enactment as a musician. I'm a string and wind player (viol, cello, violin, double bass, flute, recorder) and I love medieval music. I've found loads of resources by scouring the internet and am now equipped with troubadour songs, estampies, salterellos and many more. My wife plays drums and we are about to start investing in some medieval instruments - rebec, pipe & tabor etc. All we need now is to make our kirtles and get out there! Mary

Ah, good so I am not the only one who fancies a bit of historical music then. Excellent as this has always been a bit of a problem for me. My character, Henri, was born in 1605 and comes to prominence in 1625 but trying to find out what instruments were around has not been terribly easy

Lady Janet

Postby Lady Janet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi
Just wanted to say hello. I'm interested in getting into Medieval re-enactment as a musician. I'm a string and wind player (viol, cello, violin, double bass, flute, recorder) and I love medieval music. I've found loads of resources by scouring the internet and am now equipped with troubadour songs, estampies, salterellos and many more. My wife plays drums and we are about to start investing in some medieval instruments - rebec, pipe & tabor etc. All we need now is to make our kirtles and get out there!

Hi Mary have you managed to join a group yet, the medieval combat society (themcs) are based in London/Surrey and would love you to join them.
themcspresident@gmaiil.com :-)

Return to “Friends and Gossip”