Jousting at Bolsover Castle

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

HistoryNeedsYou

Jousting at Bolsover Castle

Postby HistoryNeedsYou » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Here's a video of the jousting and medieval event at Bolsover Castle over the Bank Holiday weekend. The LH featured many members of WoTR households plus pros such as Kathy with her Hawks. The event received good media coverage thanks to effective PR by the EH team. ITV news reported on it on Monday evening. Their angle was the first female jouster (sic) and the potential as an Olympic sport. I'll leave it to Griff to give expert comment on the quality of jousting but we all know real sports don't involve inflated objects and pay packets.
If you are in the film, leave a comment and I'll be happy to add you to the info in the description.
https://youtu.be/SK3F8V2nHNw

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Jousting at Bolsover Castle

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am

Well its Raphael Historic Falconry who did the BoP displays. Kathy and her Hawks was a skiffle group I think.

I'm on the slowest broadband possible and can't watch the clip easily but the jousting was provided by Historic Equitation so featured some of the best 15th cent riders in the world bar none. That level of kit and skill takes a lot of bloody hard work and it shows. It was also a solid lance and steel coronel joust so about the closest you can get to true jousting.

Oh and the big iron grey Irish draught stallion, that's Pericles, my horse. First season and already getting a following.

It's potential as an Olympic sport is extremely limited. But as a presentation sport at Tokyo, huge.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

HistoryNeedsYou

Re: Jousting at Bolsover Castle

Postby HistoryNeedsYou » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Pericles and all the horses were magnificent. Fiery yet impeccably well behaved. The audience cheered mightily every time a lance shattered and loved the whole event. All the riders displayed great skill in charging home hard without ever being unbalanced. The Olympics really should have honest sports like jousting, cudgels and Kabaddi!

Return to “Friends and Gossip”