Woodworm

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Woodworm

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am

Bother... my butter churn has become infested.

Whats the best NATURAL remedy for this? I want to carry on using it so soaking it in Cuprinol 5* is my least favorite solution.

Freeze it then use some herbal type thing?

This is proper burrowing critters attacking the softwood. Mental note to get one done in oak sometime....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Woodworm

Postby Brother Ranulf » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 am

I read somewhere that museums paint old wooden objects with Paraffin (not on varnished or French polished surfaces), on an annual basis. It apparently kills the beetles. Not quite herbal or natural, but better than some of the more volatile chemicals. There are photographs on-line of conservators treating the "King Stephen chair" in this way.

I am not aware of any herbal remedy - there are some that are used to deter moths, flies and so on, but not much use on determined, hardy blighters with their teeth in your butter churn. As a very last resort, apply item to a bonfire and invest in a new one . . .

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Woodworm

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 am

I say we nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Friends and Gossip”