Norman tent

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Annie the Pedlar
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 am
Location: In a close of bluebells in the hamlet of Hors
Contact:

Norman tent

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Being totally lazy I altered my plans to big up my tiny tent and buy a Norman tent (from Poland- almost the same cost as DIY.) It's the kind with two upright poles and a ridge pole inside, bell ends and no guy ropes, just pegs. I do plan to lift up the door flap to make a veranda (I think that should be awning) with two extra poles and 4 guy ropes nicked from the tiny tent. Oh - and the upright poles are cut in two diagonally and joined back up with dowelly pegs through holes. That was an I've downsized my transport thing. It fits easily in my car. It's for selling from not sleeping in. So......bearing in mind I'm a teeny tiny granny.....what's going to go wrong? Will it fall over in a gale? Will my stuff get wet? I'm assuming I'm still going to have to bat my eyelids in an helpless puppy dog way at any passing burly fellows and lasses to give me a hand putting the thing up..... Any tips from anyone gratefully received?


Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

User avatar
lucy the tudor
Post Knight
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby lucy the tudor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:08 am

Tim has one, it's fine, once you have the poles assembled in the tent on the ground, give someone a shout to help you get it upright, then peg out the bell ends outer pegs, then the rest of the bell end pegs, and the rest. Ours stays up in utterly lousy weather, it does leak a little now it is nineteen years old, Vic James, so solid as a rock still otherwise, ( only leaks in a couple of corner bits) .Good luck.x


lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: Polmont-Edinburgh

Re: Norman tent

Postby guthrie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Annie the Pedlar wrote:Being totally lazy I altered my plans to big up my tiny tent and buy a Norman tent (from Poland- almost the same cost as DIY.) It's the kind with two upright poles and a ridge pole inside, bell ends and no guy ropes, just pegs. I do plan to lift up the door flap to make a veranda (I think that should be awning) with two extra poles and 4 guy ropes nicked from the tiny tent. Oh - and the upright poles are cut in two diagonally and joined back up with dowelly pegs through holes. That was an I've downsized my transport thing. It fits easily in my car. It's for selling from not sleeping in. So......bearing in mind I'm a teeny tiny granny.....what's going to go wrong? Will it fall over in a gale? Will my stuff get wet? I'm assuming I'm still going to have to bat my eyelids in an helpless puppy dog way at any passing burly fellows and lasses to give me a hand putting the thing up..... Any tips from anyone gratefully received?

Umm, that vertical pole setup sounds exactly like the one which broke badly on a tent a group here in Scotland had. Both poles too, they ended up bodging something to keep the ridge pole horizontal. Basically the holes for the dowels weakened the diagonally cut poles and split apart after a couple of days of use and a little wind, not even that much wind.
So you should keep an eye on it and consider getting new poles.



ValTarrant
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:22 am

Re: Norman tent

Postby ValTarrant » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:21 pm

guthrie wrote:Basically the holes for the dowels weakened the diagonally cut poles and split apart after a couple of days of use and a little wind, not even that much wind


Had the join been wrapped in the rope provided? I'd be interested to know as I have been looking at these tents myself.



guthrie
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: Polmont-Edinburgh

Re: Norman tent

Postby guthrie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:34 am

ValTarrant wrote:
guthrie wrote:Basically the holes for the dowels weakened the diagonally cut poles and split apart after a couple of days of use and a little wind, not even that much wind


Had the join been wrapped in the rope provided? I'd be interested to know as I have been looking at these tents myself.

I'm not sure. I saw some rope on the broken tent poles, but don't know if it was original or added later. I'm afraid I find a design that requires more fiddling about in terms of wrapping rope around what should be a simple easy join to put together a bit of a failure.



User avatar
Annie the Pedlar
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 am
Location: In a close of bluebells in the hamlet of Hors
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 am

The bits I can see that might split are the bits with the dowel going through. Then the ridge pole doesn't look strong enough to me and I can see it twisting when being erected. It'll have nails from the uprights going through each end. Being a lady I'm thinking wrap with string/cord/rope and being a metal worker I'm thinking bits of metal drainpipe as reinforcement. Thinks - strip of solid leather laced up like a lady's corset? :rock:


Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 4238
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Wales. Only just!
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Use two dowels (shinken as we samurai say...) and make sure they are snug fit, you can't have any play. Using two means you have a fail-safe method in place. I'd be using steel pins with pulls on each end if 'twer me.

Basically I try and avoid any su=system that has fiddly bits that can be forgotten cos then you are buggered.


http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: Polmont-Edinburgh

Re: Norman tent

Postby guthrie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 am

Mark Griffin wrote:Use two dowels (shinken as we samurai say...) and make sure they are snug fit, you can't have any play. Using two means you have a fail-safe method in place. I'd be using steel pins with pulls on each end if 'twer me.

Basically I try and avoid any su=system that has fiddly bits that can be forgotten cos then you are buggered.

Exactly, if the tent is like the one I saw, the system is already too fiddly, and has a major built in weak point.
Therefore, as she wisely says, metal or strong leather collars are the way to go.

Edited to say - you could experiment by fixing one pole up and leaving the other and seeing how long it takes to break...



Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 4238
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Wales. Only just!
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:42 am

roof rack for whole pole or metal collars. Dead simple.


http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Vic James
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 am
Location: A place where they make beer

Re: Norman tent

Postby Vic James » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Has my name as been mentioned , I do make poles to size for `other` tentage .
Solid or split ,, And I sell all the pins ,rings and sleeves [ tube ] separate,
if you need any :-) Vic



Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 4238
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Wales. Only just!
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:35 pm

And he sells them all with a smile!


http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Kingofderby
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Norman tent

Postby Kingofderby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 pm

And incase you don't have them already, contact details for Vic are on his site:
https://sites.google.com/site/victorjamestents/home



User avatar
lucy the tudor
Post Knight
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Our poles are still fine after nineteen years, so Vic may well be a very sensible way to go... x


lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

User avatar
Annie the Pedlar
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 am
Location: In a close of bluebells in the hamlet of Hors
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:20 am

I've got "don't come running to me when you break a leg" spinning round in my brain :D
Hi Vic :rock:
I'm concocting a plan B. Should a pole break at Kentwell I can flutter my eyelids at a copicer to cut down a handy sapling :* and at fairs I head for the nearest tent seller ;( .


Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

User avatar
Annie the Pedlar
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 am
Location: In a close of bluebells in the hamlet of Hors
Contact:

Re: Norman tent

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:35 am

Think I'm sorted. Metal collars are doing the trick nicely. Only moan is on one of the poles the holes for the peg were slightly off. Heath Robinsonish fiddling with a stanley knife, file and sandpaper bodged the join to make it work. Right! Now my tent fits into a Smart car - not that I could ever afford one - and the moral is ask Vic for a tent next time. :D You are all invited to help or stand around and laugh, first time I try to put it up :crazy:


Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com


Return to “Friends and Gossip”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests