2015 Law Commission 'antique' gun proposals

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Arquebus

2015 Law Commission 'antique' gun proposals

Postby Arquebus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:54 pm

The Law Commission is considering proposals on streamlining various areas of the Firearms Act. Part of it is clarifying what an 'antique' firearm is.

http://firearmsuk.org/wp-content/upload ... rearms.pdf

Everyone should request that all matchlock and flintlock muskets should be considered 'antique', as is the case across the rest of Europe. A short trip on the Eurostar to France and there are no restrictions. (You can pick up a lovely Colt 1851 with balls and powder over the counter..)

Here's a proposed response which would be good to send as is or base upon.

"Any amended definition of 'antique' or Home Office guidance should explicitly include modern reproductions of firearms that use an obsolete means of ignition such as matchlock and flintlock muskets, putting the law in line with the majority of Europe.

These date back as early as the 1300s and should be treated no different than crossbows with regards to sale and purchase. In France and indeed the majority of Europe, muzzle-loading black powder firearms can be purchased and owned without needing to apply for any type of licence.

The need to obtain a firearms certificate puts a needless bureaucratic burden on those wishing to engage in culturally beneficial living history activities while offering nothing in the way of public safety since these are entirely ignored by criminals. Muzzle-loading firearms made before 1939 can already be purchased freely in the UK, so going through a lengthy and costly firearm certificate process for an example made after this date is not proportionate and and simply presents an unnecessary public expense.

Email: firearms@lawcommission.gsi.gov.uk
Last edited by Arquebus on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: 2015 Law Commission 'antique' gun proposals

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Blimey, how remarkably sensible.

Best of luck with that...

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am

You cant fire section 58 antiques

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a09

Prosecutors are reminded that even if a weapon is held to be an antique by virtue of its age and characteristics, the exemption will only be available if it is possessed or dealt with as an "ornament or curiosity".

If you remove curiosity and ornament from the guidance to cover our guns you remove it from all antiques.

The idea would therefore kill reenactment. Whats wrong with licensing guns?

ps. Your argument that anyone can then go to france for a colt with ammo... tells you why the idea is stupid.

pps section 58 is most likely to be seriously amended to restrict ownership

ppps dont tell the commission that crossbows and longbows exist and can fire lethal projectiles... theyll licence them too!

Pppps. A colt 1851 isnt matchlock or flintlock either. Its a percussion pistol. And blank firing examples are available for . less than 200. Im sure you dont expect a recreation of the OK corral on the Balls Pond Road but youd legalise handguns?
Last edited by acecat999 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

yes, sorry, hadn't thought that one through. Agree with Acecat, its actually a crap idea. If i could delete my post i would....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:59 am

Someone agrees with me!

Be more use if we could have a specific section 5 type licence for reenactors really. Enlarge section 12....

Or they allowed live section 5 guns to be deactivated to blank fire standard and held on FAC. Wont happen though.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:35 pm

I agree as well. Stupid idea, it's bad enough people get them then and have no training.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:41 pm

I could see some advantage in moving all replicas with "obsolete means of ignition" to section 2; or at least within some sensible limit of bore.

I have to carry a section 1 licence, with all the extra admin that entails, so I can hold a flintlock pistol that is no more of a risk than a 2" cannon; indeed, probably less.

And the current law actually makes them harder to secure, since I can't simply leave a pistol, or short medieval gun, with another licence holder in the way that I can with a musket.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Theres talk of merging the licences anyway.... but everything would be section 1

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm of the opinion that all Section 1 re-enactment guns come under the same basic application rules as those used by gun clubs. As far as I know they have to get approval or sponsorship from the club and prove they are trained before they get their Section 1 cert. There are way too many people out there with pistols that have no idea about the law or realistically how dangerous their guns are but then I suppose the same is true with Black Powder......

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Well I doubt the OP will return.

Its not a bad thing to think of ways to reduce the cost of licencing. But basically even though it a ancient tube.... with obsolete mechanism. It can still put a lump of lead through someones head.

Theres a lot of people getting firearms through reenactment who dont know what to do when things don't go to plan or push the envelope before learning what the limits are.

the possession of a licence and gun doesnt necessarily mean someone should automatically be allowed to play anyway.

I personally think current licencing is just about right

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:16 am

Realistically, how many deaths do you think would occur every year if reproduction flintlock or matchlock long guns didn't require a certificate?

I think it would be 0.

I agree as well. Stupid idea, it's bad enough people get them then and have no training.

I don't believe there are any problems in France, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech etc with flintlock related deaths.... I'd list more countries, but It's actually harder to name European states that actually require any sort of licence for muzzle-loaders. We're actually the 'weird one' ... same with the handgun ban.

You can also make the same case with regulating ownership of bows or crossbows. These are very lethal weapons and faster loading, yet in reality pose very little threat to the average person. Any prison time or fines for unlicenced possession would be disproportionate.

I personally think current licencing is just about right

I'd like to pass down a custom made reproduction 16th century wheel-lock to my grandchildren as I could with an antique sec.58 .44 Russian revolver or Schmidt Rubin 7.5×53 straight-pull rifle.. or bow & arrow.

Passing down sec.1 or 2 firearms is a whole different matter. The majority owned will either get destroyed or sold, especially if you can no longer justify having 'good reason'.

I think it's all overkill for a slow and cumbersome curiosity that is about 200 years obsolete when I can just order a 175lb crossbow with a night vision scope without restriction.

http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/armex-sc ... 9763-p.asp

But basically even though it a ancient tube.... with obsolete mechanism. It can still put a lump of lead through someones head.

Maybe the government should focus on trying to ban plumbing pipe. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsp7vz4Cyc

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:53 am

Arquebus wrote:Realistically, how many deaths do you think would occur every year if reproduction flintlock or matchlock long guns didn't require a certificate?

I think it would be 0.

I don't believe there are any problems in France, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech etc with flintlock related deaths.... I'd list more countries, but It's actually harder to name European states that actually require any sort of licence for muzzle-loaders. We're actually the 'weird one' ... same with the handgun ban.

Not deaths, but to give first hand examples of idiots, nearly every time I go to France or Belgium someone gets shot at point blank range by a pistol or carbine. Three occasions I can think of were aimed at the face. Also other third hand examples in Italy, Bavaria, Czech, Germany, Poland and Russia. Now yes, this is an issue with training and awareness, but ease of access does come in to play also.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 am

You can pass guns down if your kids arent nutters or criminals....

providing they have a reason to need them.
They could equally deactivate them

no point in them owning guns they dont need.

you completely miss the point.
YOU CANNOT DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN TYPES OF GUN.

make it easier to own muzzle loaders according to your plan and you accidently legalise handguns. I mean as I pointed out you said redefine flintlocks and matchlocks but your example was percussion.
you also seem to think plumbing pipe is a gun.

the commission is actually got a useful idea of making it less onerous for lending guns to non licence holders for clay pigeon, deer stalking and theatrical. I doubt youve read yhat bit though. That would be of use to reenactment.... trying to get a handgun through the backdoor isnt
Last edited by acecat999 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 am

And the simple fact is... your propisal reduces every flintlock and matchlock to be

AN UNFIREABLE CURIOSITY OR ORNAMENT.

so its stupid.
and if youve been firing Section 58 guns, I suggest you stop

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:40 am

Arquebus wrote:Realistically, how many deaths do you think would occur every year if reproduction flintlock or matchlock long guns didn't require a certificate?

I think it would be 0.

Black powder incidents in the US are reported and recorded; they do kill people.
And people are injured all the time.

Arquebus wrote:I'd like to pass down a custom made reproduction 16th century wheel-lock to my grandchildren

Why would you want to do that anymore than you'd want to pass on your favourite clay pigeon gun?
And why would it be acceptable in one case, but not the other?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Unfortunately, last weekend, in a 19th century re-enactment event in Italy, two reenactors just died, another had to have an arm amputated, and several MOPs were injured, one of them, a five year old boy, severely, when a musket exploded: http://www.thelocal.it/20150831/two-killed-during-historical-re-enactment

I'd like to know what happened with that musket...

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:02 am

YOU CANNOT DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN TYPES OF GUN. make it easier to own muzzle loaders according to your plan and you accidently legalise handguns.

Encouraging. Now that would be a highly desirable outcome. :D

Rather than amending the law itself, Home Office guidance could in effect make them exempt without destroying the fabric of the British constitution, as was recently done with 'line throwing guns' and plucking the 'obsolete caliber list' from thin air. Why not an 'obsolete mechanism list' covering all dates of manufacture?

Poland probably has the strictest gun laws in Europe after the UK, yet there is "no requirement of a firearms license for:

- Separate loading weapons constructed before 1885 or replicas of that weapons"

Black powder incidents in the US are reported and recorded; they do kill people.
And people are injured all the time.

The USA is comparable in size to a large chunk of Europe. There were likely no deaths last year from flintlocks in say, Vermont or New Hampshire. The danger from reproduction muskets is comparable to that of crossbows, bow & arrows and slingshots. Negligible.

And the simple fact is... your propisal reduces every flintlock and matchlock to be

AN UNFIREABLE CURIOSITY OR ORNAMENT.

so its stupid.

If Home Office guidance included them it would simply mean CPS would be directed not to prosecute for simple possession in the home or their sale. They could still be shot on sec.1 or sec.2, as say a pinfire shotgun. A clear exemption separate from sec.58 would however be the more desirable.

The suggestion should also be read in the context of when and if an overhaul or re-writing of the Firearms Act occurs. The 'new' act will be full of flaws and anomalies of course, though most European countries get by fine without requiring firearm certificates for replicas of historical muzzle-loaders. Restricting them here is an unjustified infringement upon liberty, especially demonstrated by the fact that you can buy them in France without restriction (and their availability seemingly isn't contributing to the degrading of the nation) .

Forget my proposed apocalyptic 'match-lock loop hole' that will surely see a wave of death upon Britain's streets - right now you don't actually require a firearm certificate to purchase or possess .22lr rifles if you build a shooting gallery on your property to use them. It's known as the 'miniature rifle range exemption' the fairground showman use, though it equally applies to private homes and even pubs.

http://www.guntradenews.com/comment/leg ... d-the-law/

A gentleman also walked free from court and could keep his live 9mm Lanchester submachine gun after a court agreed it was an 'antique'. That's some solid case law on the books if you wanted yourself a crate of STEN guns.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:55 am

Simply fact is...

Theres more votes for taking guns away, not in letting odd people have them.

Fact of life. Get over it.youve now made it clear this is a backdoor way of getting handguns legalised and if I can see that, the the commission are going to see straight through it.

equating firearm ownership with liberty may sound good in alabama... in guildford it makes you sound like a nutcase

your original post was bull*poop* and youve now run around trying to do the homework you should of done before posting it.
good luck with your crate of sten guns.

The review of law is to make is easier to understand when a gun is a gun.... not invent a whole new subclause of guns yhat are not guns if the owner dresses up at the weekend

you cant understand that in order to fire an antique.... it HAS to be on licence.

The miniture rifle range is most useful if you want to reenact in your own basement too. You cant just open one up though.... theres planning laws.... the club needs home office approval. Which is harder to get than a shotgun licence. Otherwise how do you buy .22lr with out a licence too? You should read chapter 18 of the guidance...

and pointing out a clever lawyer proved a submachinegun is an antique doesnt support your desire to make firing antique guns more acceptable......

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 am

If Home Office guidance included them it would simply mean CPS would be directed not to prosecute for simple possession in the home or their sale.

If that came in then you'd have the interesting situation of being able to pop over to Calais with your freshly-delivered-by-Amazon bandook but not be able to travel to Gretna as-

- CPS don't exist in Scotland (it's the PF who have a different relationship with Crown and Police in the way they practice)
- The SNP and Scottish Greens are generally opposed to gun ownership of any kind ( cf recent air weapons legislation)
- As Police Scotland is now notoriously run to "Strathclyde rules" across the nation they'd likely back any opposition to the hilt (unless it allowed them to justify the increased the number of armed officers which has been a controversial move).

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 am

In truth all reenactment needs is to be included in section 12 of the 1968 act.

delete part of paragraph 13.69 of the home office guidance and we have it made. You would think....
but then wed be actors and actors dont get reason to own guns. The producers hire guns. The guns would still need to be held on licence ....

Who can tell if even that tiny change could have a disasterous knock on effect?

just to give you an idea how well some of actually know the legislation, regulations, codes of practice and guidance.
trying to p*ss about with section 58 is stupid as its going.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:42 am

I've seen some (English) Police guidance for Victorian/Edwardian chaps who wanted to carry sec.58 pinfires/pepperboxes with their kit, claiming it as an "Ornament", which said that reenactment was "outside the home" so Obsolete Calibres couldn't be present in that context...if only I could find it again.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:17 pm

So the OP wants totake guns off of section 1 or 2 ... or at least decriminalise possession but admits that to fire the guns theyd have to be back on section 1 or 2 .

At least thats what he said above.

Basically he just wants to make modern replicas ownable for the unlicenced?

Which they can. If they deactivate them. Or buy monkeymetal repros fromdenix for half the price

Erm.
whats next... changing the rules on deactivating flintlock to

"Remove the flint"

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:35 pm

your original post was bull*poop* and youve now run around trying to do the homework you should of done before posting it.
good luck with your crate of sten guns.

The miniture rifle range is most useful if you want to reenact in your own basement too. You cant just open one up though.... theres planning laws.... the club needs home office approval. Which is harder to get than a shotgun licence. Otherwise how do you buy .22lr with out a licence too? You should read chapter 18 of the guidance...

A miniature rifle range doesn't need Home Office approval. Your range can even be a trailer you take to a fairground.

I know of a gentleman who has a miniature rifle range on his property on which he uses off-ticket .22lr rifles he purchased from a dealer who is familiar with the exemption. This occurred with full-knowledge of his local police (they lacked enthusiasm to say the least - not much they could do however).

Basically he just wants to make modern replicas ownable for the unlicenced?

Which they can. If they deactivate them. Or buy monkeymetal repros fromdenix for half the price

Deactivate? Denix? Monkey-metal?

Surely you would not subject your fellow man to even the mere mention of such cruel abominations?!

I can have a limitless number of modern high-tech crossbows and a siege ballista without big brother needing to see any sort of paperwork, so I should also be allowed to have a collection of functional muskets (that happen to be modern reproductions because I'm not rich yet) without having to hand over money to the government.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Still. You admit yourself that putting a live firing gun on section 58 defeats the point of having a live firing gun.

which was your original post.

The rest of your arguments seem to be that people should be able to own lethal weaponry without question simply because other countries let them...... im pretty sure that isnt going to get any sympathy with the commission

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Martin Abbott of the National Association of Re-enactment societies is fully on board and recommended reproductions be exempt at the meeting on Tuesday.

Quotes:

Martin Abbott, Nat Assoc Re-enactment Socs: Asks Law Com to consider exempting guns from the law by their ignition system

Abbott: "These antique replicas are [legally] shotguns. Occupies police time and effort in licensing these." #LCFirearms

Abbott: "I am talking about medieval, C15th firearms, etc. A police officer inspecting a cannon in someone's shed is ridiculous"

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Does he specifically ask for them to go under section 58?

Which was your original stupid idea. Or does he want a whole new excemption... youve cherrypicked 4 lines from a unlinked document too. Please provide the links so the rest of us can consider the whole

I dont know why you actually make me have to argue against something which at face value is to my advantage.

The idea of an exemption is worth asking for. Your proposed change of legislation to enable it though is erroneous.

PS Nares recommendations are just a plea not a recommendation by a law making body. Im sure mothers against guns have recommended martin abbott sticks a flintlock where the sun dont shine.

pps. My cannon isnt kept in a shed. Mr abbott obviously is also misrepresenting the argument too.
Last edited by acecat999 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 pm

I thinking he is referring to the Law commission Twitter feed
https://storify.com/LawCommission/firearms-law
fifth panel about antique weapons.
Arquebus conveniently forgets about the statement about increased use of antique weapons in criminal activity.
Perhaps he should consider attending Ordcon 2015 and talking to Mr Abbott direct and see what feedback he gets.

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:27 pm

The context was 'antiques', so I'm quite sure it was nudge to include reproductions (alongside originals) in any new definition.

"Martin Abbott, National Assoc of Renactment Societies. "I'm going to throw curveball; we use replica antiques" #LCFirearms"

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:35 pm

What is a replica antique?

You havent answered the question. Did he specifically suggest guns currently held on section1 or 2 should be classed as antiwues under section 58?

Arquebus

Postby Arquebus » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:13 pm

acecat999 wrote:What is a replica antique?

You havent answered the question. Did he specifically suggest guns currently held on section1 or 2 should be classed as antiwues under section 58?

It won't be as high as 58 under the new act, it'll be Sec.12 (Antiques and Obsolete Firearms)

It will also include provisions entitling you to a state subsidized amount of black powder.

Return to “Friends and Gossip”