fake boar's head

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Christabel

fake boar's head

Postby Christabel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Thinking ahead to Christmas, does anyone have a Blue Peter's badge in making a fake boar's head (to be a feature of a Tudor Christmas for schools,) or know someone who can supply one?
Yours randomly,
Christabel.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:04 am

Why not get a real one - there are a few wild boar farms about the country so you could possibly acquire one from one of them (or ask Martin the next time he is jerking a boar if you can have the head!)

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 am

m300572 wrote:Why not get a real one - there are a few wild boar farms about the country so you could possibly acquire one from one of them (or ask Martin the next time he is jerking a boar if you can have the head!)

Only lasts a couple of days cooked though, and I assume from the post that its going round a lot of schools, could get whiffy!

madjon

Postby madjon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 pm

why not take a real one to the taxidermist and have it stuffed?

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:48 pm

madjon wrote:why not take a real one to the taxidermist and have it stuffed?

Surely the idea is that it looks cooked and garnished, or have I missed something?

madjon

Postby madjon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:55 pm

with the hair singed get it stuffed, then apply wax to give it that cooked look?

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:25 pm

I've been away and have just checked the forum - thanks, everyone, and especially Karen - the wild boar website really made me laugh.
I have wondered about getting a pig skull and covering it it plaster, etc... It would be something we'd need every year, if this one is a success, so I has got to a) not be whiffy and b) look half decent.

Christabel.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:02 pm

Christabel wrote:I've been away and have just checked the forum - thanks, everyone, and especially Karen - the wild boar website really made me laugh.
I have wondered about getting a pig skull and covering it it plaster, etc... It would be something we'd need every year, if this one is a success, so I has got to a) not be whiffy and b) look half decent.

Christabel.

Plaster looks ropey very fast, might be better to ask someone to take a cast of a fresh pigs head and do you a resin cast, that painted up will last better than plaster

Hawkwood of Plantagenet

Postby Hawkwood of Plantagenet » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:45 pm

look for a member of this site called Richard Meriton, he is a member of our group and made and painted an awesome pigs head cast from a real one, he may give you some tips that will be helpful or he may even agree to make you one! don't tell him I said that!!

hope this helps

Return to “General History”