The End of the World

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Wondering surfer

The End of the World

Postby Wondering surfer » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:40 am

When did you think it started?has it started?will it ever start?
When London had the great fire (was it?) did people think it was the end of the world?What if they had?Would it change our lives today?Maybe or maybe not

What do you think about the end of the world?

G-Unit

bull*poop*

Postby G-Unit » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:42 am

I think it is a load of crock,bull*poop*

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:26 am

Um? I'm not entirely sure what to make of this thread?

When do I think the end of the world started? Well, presumably as soon as the Sun formed it started decaying, since it will inevitably expands and engulf the earth, then yes, the end of the world has started.

I'd imagine when a city is on fire the last thing people are thinking is "omg its the end of the world" more like "feck wheres little timmy and my valubles" I'm sure in a religious society an act of destruction like that may be perceived as a "warning from god" though I doubt it would have changed our lives today.

By "end of the world" do you mean the physical end of the earths existance, or just when we get wiped out?

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

madjon

Postby madjon » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:03 pm

the end of the world is a common theme running through various times of european history, from the norse idea of ragnarok, where the ice giants escape and theres a big battle at the end of the world, to the traditional church view of the book of apocalypse with horns blowing and angels and demons running around, there is the more recent view of the end of the world being portrayed in a nuclear war scenario, the common themes seem to be conflict , judgement and or a set of situations signalling the end of the world, many public declarations and widespread announcements of the end of the world have come about only to pass away as a joke, the world is going to end in 1999 according to nostradamus was a popular one a while ago, there was also a widespread hysteria around the turn of the year 1000 of the world ending, is the world ending, in a few billion years but we probably wont be here to worry about it. what was your question? or were you looking for the endof the world connection which exists with some us militias?

tonw

Postby tonw » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:32 pm

It's coming, has been since it all began...Well all good things and all that.

I'd like to think that when it comes and if it comes in my lifetime I'll sit back have a bevy and welcome oblivion.

Whats the point in panicing

Not like we can stop the end of the world is it?

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:59 pm

if the poster refers to the jehovah witness's point of view, then it has already ended 5-6 times, ie they not have a clue and keep getting it wrong.

christians seem to think of a second coming of god, which might be this century, the next or whenever

scientists seem to think it is when the sun goes to a red giant

maybe an asteroid we did not see will do it ?

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:33 am

Islam thinks its happening now, or that it is very close with all the stuff going on in Palestine.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.

Look at the monkey, funny monkey

Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Return to “General History”