erm... is this what I think it is?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

EmanwelOfGwent

erm... is this what I think it is?

Postby EmanwelOfGwent » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:38 pm

I've just spotted this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

from the blurb it looks as though the seller thinks it's a 19thC blade, not a 19thC fake of a medieval blade. I'm barely an interested amateur but...

The pommel and cross form are similar to XVIII.6 in Ewart Oakshott, the silver cross on the blade looks the same form as part of the inscription on XX.1 though that's a much larger blade. Oakshott notes a few examples of arabic inscriptions made on otherwise European blades (though they're not the same type of sword as this one)

So is it a 19thC fake or a real peice, 600-700 years old?

and if it's real shouldn't someone tell this chap what he's got on his hands?

any ideas?

"O Lord, Please remove thy thumb"
the Theif Filewood, attempting to claim benefit of clergy

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:27 am

I'd be more interested in knowing if he has all the legal paperwork for it and whether its been recorded properly, especialy if its being moved from its country of origen.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:02 am

If its original and from the Balkans I would support Sally's point about the legality of the removal from its country of origin (the Balkans are a source of a fair amount of antiquities which may or may not have been looted and exported illegally. e-bay have come under some pressure from the BM and others recently so it may be worth contacting them and asking if this is legit.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:16 pm

After having a little look around and comparing some examples, i'd say it's original. The measurements and overall look match well with an original in the Wallace and it lines up quite nicely with Oakeshotts typology.

thoughts?

EmanwelOfGwent

Postby EmanwelOfGwent » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:55 pm

It did *eventually* occur to me that there ought to be some provenance more than "a church in the Balkans"
The wording suggests that the thing has already been removed from it's country of origin.

dragonskie2000

Postby dragonskie2000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:47 pm

Check out the seller via goofbay they have recently (last 30 days) bid on a EFTIS masterpiece decorated medieval sword 1400 AD that went for just over two grand, also been bidding on other old swords. They haven't sold anything for 30 days and this sword is their only listing. With the lack of detail in the listing I'd be extreamly dubious as to it's origins or as Sally rightly says, it's legality.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:16 am

I woudl want to examine it in person. The swords I saw recently in the burrell ddi look very like it, yet were more pitted, and the surface of this sword also looks very black. So I really cant tell, but would not buy anything claiming to be what it is off e-bay.

EmanwelOfGwent

Postby EmanwelOfGwent » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:01 am

Right, I've alerted Ebay to the thing via their system.
Shame to see things like that trafficked

Return to “General History”