Re-enactment groups in Warwick Uni Area

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

m0rt

Re-enactment groups in Warwick Uni Area

Post by m0rt »

Hey there all,

I am currently part of a medieval re-enactment group, near where i live at home in north hampshire (GCoT for those who wanna know), but I'm heading off to Warwick Uni in about a weeks time, and i can't seem to find any re-enactment group in the uni. I want to keep in fighting shape (mainly so i don't injure people when i get back at xmas). Anyone got any ideas? I don't particulary mind a change in period, since i dont have much kit, I just want to train!

Thanks in advance guys

Nik
Why I do maths: http://xkcd.com/435/

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

Nik moved to general history as this gets more visitors
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

m0rt

Post by m0rt »

Ok, cheers
Why I do maths: http://xkcd.com/435/

matilda

Post by matilda »

Hi Nik,

we're based in Oxfordshire, and practice in Witney on a Sunday afternoon.

We've played with God's Company a couple of times, we may even have met!

thats www.companionsofthecrow.co.uk

Its still a bit of a trek from Warwick though, and I suppose you've got one of those nasty pointy stick things......
:wink:

PM me or Carl (carl/sir geoffrey) if you want more info
Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows - Jennifer Yane

Billman

Post by Billman »

Hi Nik

Try having a look here

http://www.et-tu.com/wotrf1/cgi-bin/ind ... entral.htm

It list all the WoR Federation groups in the Midlands and should give you a good starting point.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Please look after Nik fro us and make sure he gets some training, we don't really want him tempted to travel back on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings... :wink:

I suggest popping along to Whitney with Carl, Denise, Stan et al and carry on their pole-weapon training... :twisted:

As you can tell I'm in a belligerent mood this afternoon, no doubt I will pay for both comments in the not to distant... :lol:
The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Just get a couple of poles and start your own 'warwick garrison' of GCoT.

Filthy Hussites are always taking over the world anyway.

Dave
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

MJ

Post by MJ »

Dave B wrote:Filthy Hussites are always taking over the world anyway.

You know it's true! 8)
VERITAS VINCIT

Billman

Post by Billman »

Dave B wrote:Just get a couple of poles and start your own 'warwick garrison'

I think we may have got there first :)

http://www.ecorcheur.co.uk/

Carl / Sir Geoffrey

Post by Carl / Sir Geoffrey »

No one is going to take over the world with a few pointy sticks :D

True dominance is shown by those that wield a sword :D
(preferably a great big long one with wobbly edges :D )

Nik, you would be more than welcome to join us for training - especially since Dickie seems to like you.
Carl Sprake
Sir Geoffrey of Woodstock
CarlSprake.co.uk
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

Man from Coventry

Post by Man from Coventry »

You may be interested to know that there was a Warwick Household run out of Warwick University in the early 1990's. Many of it members still re-enact as part of two Wars of the Roses Federation groups. Stafford Household and Coventry's Company. I don't think you can get more local than the latter as Warwick Uni despite the name is in fact in Coventry!

Coventry's Company is run by two ex-Warwick University Students Mark Hinsley and Matt McVeigh, who also founded the original Warwick Household. It is an archery group with a strong emphasis on melee combat as well (i.e we wade in with sword & buckler as well as shooting), but also has a strong living history element, based on citizens of Medieval Coventry (the most important city in the Midlands). The group has a stock of club kit which can be used free by new members.

Mark can be contacted by e-mail at mark.hinsley@mouchelparkman.com.
A good sword, a trusty hand, a merry heart and true.

Paddy

Post by Paddy »

Dave B wrote:Just get a couple of poles and start your own 'warwick garrison' of GCoT.

Filthy Hussites are always taking over the world anyway.

Dave

Definately!

I'm part of a fledgling group here at Brum Uni, and its getting a suprising amount of interest (now if we can only turn that into full time members...)

Good luck if you do :D
War's long done. We're all just folk now.

Druid

Post by Druid »

We have several members from Coventy who travel over to our training on Wednesday evenings at 7.30pm in Sutton Coldfield. If you are short of transport you may be able to get a lift. More info. on www.DarkAgesTrust.org.uk
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today because if you like it you can do it again tomorrow!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Man from Coventry wrote:You may be interested to know that there was a Warwick Household run out of Warwick University in the early 1990's. Many of it members still re-enact as part of two Wars of the Roses Federation groups. Stafford Household and Coventry's Company. I don't think you can get more local than the latter as Warwick Uni despite the name is in fact in Coventry!

Coventry's Company is run by two ex-Warwick University Students Mark Hinsley and Matt McVeigh, who also founded the original Warwick Household. It is an archery group with a strong emphasis on melee combat as well (i.e we wade in with sword & buckler as well as shooting), but also has a strong living history element, based on citizens of Medieval Coventry (the most important city in the Midlands). The group has a stock of club kit which can be used free by new members.

Mark can be contacted by e-mail at mark.hinsley@mouchelparkman.com.

I think that they had just disbanded/severed their ties with the Uni when I started there. The local viking group dissapeared the year before too. You may have some luck starting up a group at the Uni. If so, good luck trying.

Alternatively one of our members is away at Machester Uni and can't find a local group, so she comes home for shows and during holidays and we give her extra batterings to keep her skill up :twisted:

Good luck
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Colin Middleton wrote:Alternatively one of our members is away at Machester Uni and can't find a local group

We're not far away if she needs a good kicking.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.