WotR drill

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:27 pm

StaffordCleggy wrote:Oh well.

I suppose an opening game win at Welford Rd was a little too much to expect - is the Tigers after all!
Didn't see the game (at a birthday party in Stafford) but it sounds like a fair result, see spreaders is up to his usual reffing standards again... :?
Both teams sounded like they played some good football, so it could be a cracking season from these two, just hope Chabal gets his mojo on again, bit off-colour i hear today.
From an English perspective, Charlie Hodgson set out his stall for the No10 shirt, those who think JW will stroll back into that position are living on fantasy island, let's see how he does in the GP first.

Mark, will you be bringing the family to Blore, or are you being allowed to play out on your own? :lol:

Hi Cleggy,
I listened to the game on the radio. For us it was a good start to the season with lots of positives. My daughter (who watched it) tells me that Shane Jennings our no.7 dump tackled Chabal..That must take some doing! :shock: Yes,Charlie Hodgson on form is awesome and another Sale player I like to watch and rate highly is Magnus Lund .
It was a good game and if my memory is right we are away to Baaarf next week! ..no easy games in this league :)
As for Blore Heath, I shall be coming alone :? ..I am hoping though, that in time, my family will want to get involved..My youngest daughter (The Rugby Player) has a certificate of competence in Archery from our local Archery Club,as I do.. This is a safety rather than skills certificate and she has said how much she would like to shoot again. Who knows, perhaps my wife may even get involved..I think she would enjoy it as shes good at crafts and cooking etc. Do you bring family with you?
See you soon,
Mark.

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:58 pm

No family as yet Mark - just me & my new 'fiance'....

(Got to get used to saying that! :lol: ).

All will be welcome, although your daughter might want to start hitting people with a pointy stick, considering what position she plays rugby at! :shock:

Re: the game,

Chabal sounds like he went missing again, seems to have a tendency to do that when the game isn't going his way, perhaps that's why Laporte doesn't want him for France?
Lund is looking his usual storming self, should muscle his way into the England set-up this Autumn.
We have Saints at home on Saturday, that'll be a good game, Tigers V Bath should be a 'bone-chruncher' as well!

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi Cleggy,
just me & my new 'fiance'....
Congratulations to you both. :D

All will be welcome, although your daughter might want to start hitting people with a pointy stick, considering what position she plays rugby at!

If we put Lauren on the Flank of the Bill Block she'll be looking for someone who resembles a Fly-Half to Charge down! :shock: :wink:
I hope she does join us one day..My other daughter is 21 she's about to start at Nottingham University so she will be busy for a few years.

I'm really looking forward to this event .
See you soon,
Mark.

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Mark wrote:
If we put Lauren on the Flank of the Bill Block she'll be looking for someone who resembles a Fly-Half to Charge down! :shock: :wink:

I foresee a new member of the 'Nutting Squad'.... :lol:

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Mark wrote:My other daughter is 21 she's about to start at Nottingham University so she will be busy for a few years.

So when does she want to joing the Dogs of War then? :lol:
Sal - our gloriious leader - is a doctor at said seat of learning

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:50 pm

So when does she want to joing the Dogs of War then?

I cant see Michelle living in a tent for the weekend..Where would she plug in the hair - straighteners? :?: :shock: :roll:

Mark.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:27 pm

Mark wrote:So when does she want to joing the Dogs of War then?

I cant see Michelle living in a tent for the weekend..Where would she plug in the hair - straighteners? :?: :shock: :roll:

Mark.

:lol: Unlike a lot of groups - we do have our own castle sort of. We do four or five shows a year at Nottingham Castle plus three or four in the local area.

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 am

Mark wrote:My other daughter is 21 she's about to start at Nottingham University so she will be busy for a few years.

We have lots of lads and lasses from the Uni training on a Tuedsday night :)

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:52 am

Dave B
"Last time this subject came up someone (mr G23b?) came up with some compelling sources suggesting that the english did not drill in WOTR and tended to be a bit of a rabble."

Not so much of a rabble as not trained as we would like them to be.

In london for example there were injunctions against fencing schools, there was not a desire for men below a certain status to be ready for war, the art of war seeming to be that of the aristos.

The simplistic nature of battles seem to point to a less regimented method of fighting, this makes sense if we see the vast majority of armed men as commons who make their committment under statute to be armed as required. They are not required to do more than provide kit, archery seems to be the only specified form of training for the common man. With this and the apparent fact that campaigns were infrequent and swift, it is no wonder that tactics are relatively straightforward, easier to get the men into position, shoot, engage.

In our modern view we find it really hard to reconcile a bare minimum of formal training with fighting battles. Henry VII made huge changes that finally led to trained bands in the Tudorbethan period and militias as we would recognise them, it still took a few centuries after that to get a standing army, the worry of England, vociferously opposed for many years.

We make the compromises to suit our reenactment, mainly due to ECWS, at least it gives a structure to play, but it might be nice to see the mould being broken now and again and trying smaller units, mixed troops wellying against each other, practice for that rather than regimented lines. My main concern is that we are artificially skewing the picture to suit our hobby (fine) but this then gets reflected as fact when it may well not be.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:12 pm

I go along with a lot of that Greg, from what i have read and the English were rank amatures when it came to warfare, when compared to the increasingly professional and modernised armies of France, Burgundy the Swiss cantons and the Italian city states. Of course the Italian field armies had been largely professional cince the early 14th century as they were largely and occassionaly entirely made up of mercenaries paid to stay on and serve both in war and peacetime.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “General History”