Medieval girdle books

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Medieval girdle books

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:54 am

High on my list of things I'm going to have a go at making 'one of these days' I came across this article by a paper conservator who attended a course on medieval girdle books. some interesting history and pictures in it for those interested in such things :)
http://www.amigos.org/fellowship/2003_medieval.pdf

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:08 am

and whilst I browse, here's a rather fun exhibition on 'modernised' girdle books. I can just see myself in full kit with a fur fabric one :lol:
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vassdae/book_art ... all_2.html

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:43 am

Lo-o-o-o-o-o-ve the purple velvet one dahling.

Seriously I could see a use for the offcuts of embroiderd silk I have - just compliment a posh frock ( yeah and if I had the time to make one!!!!)

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:50 am

good plan if you could come up with a quick and simple pattern that you just slip a notebook into. Serious fun with a party frock, somewhere to put all those phone numbers!

I want one to note orders, contacts etc at shows, so I'm going to make a moderatly accturate looking one to wear with kit, but I do fancy a shiny fun one for ordinary markets. Maybe one to keep an A6 diary in 8)

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:20 pm

I'm definately going to have to make one, maybe a quick n dirty one using decent cartridge paper and a cloth binding for the first go then invest in some more accurate paper for a shiny one :D

Thats the trouble with the internet, it gives you all these ideas that you just have to follow up on :roll:

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Well, I couldnt resist, so I made a quick n dirty girdlebook tonight as a rough practice This one used 130gsm cartridge paper, sewn and corded as per wot I understand the originals were, but with the boards and covers arbitrarity stuck on with glue, no real finesse in this one but it works, and will be dead handy for noting things during shows.
Dire picture, but thought I'd share it anyway. I can do the turks head knot, but I couldnt face it tonight so went with a plain knot :oops:
Attachments
girdlebook.JPG

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Curse you! Yet another kick in the *rse prompting me to apprentice myself to my dad and get trained in bookbinding!

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Good! You have to take up the offer of these skills if they are available. Plus, then you can 'borrow' his tools in time honoured tradition :D

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 pm

It's the 7 year indenture and mucking out the stables part I'd object to!
(He doesn't have a stable but he'd find one for me to muck out just to make sure I got the "authentic" apprentice experience and appease his sense of humour :shock:)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:20 pm

these really are fun to make, been playing with a couple more, and have ordered some proper paper, but for now, heres a red leather one and a green wool covered one :D I'm not going to try to copy some of the fancier bindings until I've perfected the book side of it, but I really fancy one of the ones with the little metal catches 8) These are nice and functional though
Attachments
books.JPG

Return to “General History”