What makes you do it ??

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 am

There's a small group of us that definitely want to - just lack of time (and lack of kit - but we're slowly working on that part! :D )

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:05 am

I started out with ECW because I am very much aware of how the religious and political changes of that period have made the nations of the British Isles what they are today, that was back in the late 80,s and through to the early 90,s when various groups within the ECWS and Sealed Knot began to tear themselves apart and I became disillusioned with the lack of accuracy on and off the battlefield. i then did ACW which i really enjoyed but found expensive to travel to as I had a family and getting them into the right period costume was a bind as was clearing the revolvers, shotguns and carbines I had aquired, had a great time in the states though where an ACW battle can have nearly as many reenactors taking part as the real thing. Then I had a go at Iron Age as I have an MA in Celtic Studies, however I couldn't get on with the New Age/neo-Pagans who felt I couldn't really be an Iron Age re-enactor unless I really did worship the Elder Gods (which is as daft as trying to insist all medieval reenactors become good Catholics). I did consider Dark Age but then became interested in the WOTR period because I met some very friendly and knowledgable fellas at Tewkesbury last year and they told me to come and play at last years Berkley Joust. Studying this period has allowed me to rekindle my interest in historical research as much as anything else and I have found most of those I have met either on this forum, others like it and at various events to be keen on sharing their research and educating others like myself who still have a lot to learn. Having said that I am finding that I am becoming more interested in the social side and the international side of study rather than the fighting and stuff.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Hmm.

Women in C18th kit - VERY SEXY!!!!

Me in C18th (mens!) kit - SO UNSEXY IT IS SCARY!!

Can anyone else see my problem?

P.S.
Although i have a strong interest in John Lilburne, the clothes issue is exactly why i don't do ECW stuff - i'm way too short for those clothes to look good on me!

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:28 pm

I like Medieval cos of the nice big pants. Oh, and the way you could get on by marrying a nice rich person and not feel bad about it, or the way you could get on by killing a nice rich person and not feel bad about it. I like the way you can use siege weapons to throw cows over castle walls, the castles themselves (espcecially and naturally), warbows, the stuff you shoot from warbows, the blades on ballock and rondel daggers (so long and thin and sexy), fabric armour and impalement on a grand scale. And did I mention the big pants, don't forget the big pants.
aXe

Strike three times, for the Trinity

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 pm

i like medieval because i bought all the kit for it already including 2 paids of the really great pants

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 pm

I'd like to do some Landsknecht(sp?) stuff mainly for the outragous outfits, but also would like to do some 18th too, maybe I'm like a kid in a sweety shop. I'll stick with what I'm on now and do something else when I'm old n grey(er)

Q.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm totally happy doing medieval although I do have a hankering to be a highwayman - Plunkett and Maclean :D

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 pm

Did they have big pants? I know they had big pistolas and a white stripe across their noses. At least, I saw that on TV once, a very long time ago it seems to me now...! Stand and deliver!
aXe

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 am

Ah- now, periods I want to do......militant suffragette.

Not that I'm bolshy or violent or anything. But it is v. v. interesting.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm

Bolshy and violent ladies are very interesting, in my experience! That's a very good call though, Tuppence, very under-portrayed, I would think. Lots of scope for informing the public too, with the force-feeding and such they had to endure.
It's not UK but I fancy the conquistadores.
aXe

DeviantShrub

Postby DeviantShrub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:30 pm

StaffordCleggy wrote:Hmm.

Nope.

I would argue it the other way around... men in 18thC clothes are incredibily hot. But I cannot imagine myself in 18thC gear; it just wouldn't work.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:43 pm

Tuppence wrote:Ah- now, periods I want to do......militant suffragette.

Plus you get to learn jiu-jitsu,boxing,savate,bartitsu and la canne. It was all promoted by women instructors for women as a means to defend themselves against drunken husbands and excessive force used by policemen- very interesting stuff fom a history of European martial arts perspective, I know someone who has just done a dissertation on it.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:44 pm

DeviantShrub wrote:
StaffordCleggy wrote:Hmm.

Nope.

I would argue it the other way around... men in 18thC clothes are incredibily hot. But I cannot imagine myself in 18thC gear; it just wouldn't work.

Ok, how about "blokes over 5'8" look good in C18th, but shortarses just get lost in the gear" ?

In my (albeit limited) experience, C18th is very flattering for most female body shapes...... :D

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:00 pm

That might be some thing to do with your hight and eye line / view :wink:

Duck the arrows are coming!

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Yup! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plus it gives me somewhere to shelter when it rains..... :shock:

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:27 pm

DeviantShrub wrote:I would argue it the other way around... men in 18thC clothes are incredibily hot.

What is it that does it? All the flouncy shirts and that?
aXe

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Tricorns! They have the same reaction from women that corsets have on men for some reason.

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:49 am

Absolutely - tricorn hat, cape with lots of little shoulder capes, high boots - Stand and Deliver!

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:27 pm

I must be doing the wrong 18thcent....Cocked hat,yes...no boots,just well-worn leggings....caped greatcoat,no...just a working jacket...all impregnated with grease & black powder....
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

kael

Postby kael » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 pm

definately for the jerky... :D

I was into history at school, and did an A Level in it, but it is no substitution for dressing up and boshing people at the weekends and meeting awesome people, and killing (and/or drinking with) them.

I still do the academic bits as a hobby as i'm now part of our research team.

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:07 pm

I started battle re-enactment because I wanted to get better with a sword so I would not keep getting taken out at LARPing events.

My favorite period is late 15th, in particular the Hussite rebellion.

I found it absolutely fascinating how an army of peasants could defeat 5 crusades so heavily that the sixth could not get off the ground because noone would go.

I also love plate, I love to fight, I love to fight hard without hurting anyone (or being hurt myself)

Although I must stress that despite my interest my knowledge of history is still rather ... barren.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Tricorn it is then!
aXe

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:54 pm

our company chose late 14th century because the women folk found dress patterns and liked them. so the men followed suit. almost 20 years on and it seems to have stuck!!

i chose to join my company and re-enact the 14th century after looking at the dresses and they seemed the most comfy.

X

Postby X » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:30 pm

My group started out as early fifteenth/late fourteenth century (I joined them accidentally - I wanted to join an ECW group but my parents wouldn't let me). We went to a multi-group event. The lime green trainers worn by some guy on the battlefield are indelibly marked on my memory. Just like the guy who appeared to be armed only with a large shield and was not wearing any shoes (or any other protective equipment) at all, and kept charging at people. And the fact that my group had to do the arming of the knight display because the people who were meant to do it didn't turn up.

We changed periods after that. Now we're happy campers in the late fifteenth century. The battles are great, the living history is fun, and the kit looks good. Can't think of a down side, really.

Three months ago, my partner and I were discussing the number of events we were doing this season. We said, we may have to rationalise for next year. We certainly couldn't even think of doing another period. You can only do one period properly. Etc etc.

Now we're committed to at least one eight-day ECW event a year, maybe two, and we'll be joining a Viking group as well. :shock:

Who was it said that you should always make sure that the words you speak are sweet, as someday you may have to eat them?

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Been keen on the Viking Age since I was a kid, never wanted to do anything else, wouldn't mind a pop at migration age if I had the time, the cash and there were any groups at all local.

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm

When I was a kid, we went on holiday to Scotland most years. One year there was some jousting at a castle nearby-still remember the sheer excitement of it all and it started me wondering then how I could do something like it.
The years went by and in my late teens I found myself working in a local stately home as a tourist guide....this involved dressing up 'vaguely Victorian', but I thought...yep, this is what I want, and the die was cast.
Roll forward another couple of years to York, '93, when I was there doing my nurse training...we'd heard they had a Viking festival so I went along with a mate to watch the torchlit procession through the streets. Felt that old excitement again. We went into a pub to warm up and my life changed forever, because we met up with a bunch of Jacobites from the White Cockade, who'd come down to see if they could join in but ended up just drowning their sorrows cos they were told they couldn't play. Nearly got kidnapped by them there and then and went to a few shows with them that year.
Next came a later Medieval group..shan't name them as we didn't really hit it off, but my one regret from that time was that I was invited to join the White Company and didn't :( They seemed like a lot more fun.
Finally, sort of, the Vikings. Bit of a problem at first, seeing as I had run off with my (now) group leader's husband...but she forgave me, I think she was secretly quite pleased I'd given her an excuse to get rid of the toad! That was nearly ten years ago.
Now I also do Early 14thC, mainly cos the kit's prettier...and give me any excuse and I'll get laced into a corset as well.
I do agree with Phil - men wearing tricorns and big boots have a similar effect on women as women in corsets do on men.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 pm

purple peril wrote:Roll forward another couple of years to York, '93,

I was there for that one- the stand-off between RA and the WC in the Museum Gardens was "interesting" as they had the bangsticks, we had the armour and the numbers!

...and why do you think I wore the tricorn at Kelmarsh ;)

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:04 am

Phil the Grips wrote:...and why do you think I wore the tricorn at Kelmarsh ;)

Did it work? Certainly suited you anyway :D

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:49 pm

I kind of fell into re-enactment by accident! When I was very little, my Mam mislaid me at one of the fairs in Northumberland and I ended up with a group doing (If I recall rightly and there's no guarantee of that!) 12th Century. When she finally found me (after she remembered that I'd been with her that is! The memory thing is genetic!) turned out that one of the couples knew my dad fairly well. Having been exposed to Robin of Sherwood and Dick Turpin at an impressionable time and having grown up in Northumberland and therefore been exposed to reiver history on a daily basis, I was apparently very hard to drag away resulting in my being adopted as a squire for local events!
Fell out of re-enactment at around 13 when work at the stables and exams kind of got in the way, then got back into it a couple of years ago when a friend of mine started up their own group. Now currently doing 14C (out of loyalty to group and cause that's where most of my friends seem to be!) and 18th Century (which is an interest!) but am about to join one of the ECW groups which I find fascinating (the history that is! Although I'm sure the group is fascinating too!) and if I can find a group within reachable distance that does Border reivers, there'll be a small Mab shaped hole in the scenery! Especially if they have horses!!!
Mab

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:13 pm

http://www.theborderers.info
We have horse AND a tower house :)

Return to “General History”