Storing medieval dyes

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

john.holtripley

Storing medieval dyes

Postby john.holtripley » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi,
I've done a lot of research into medieval dyes, but I can't find much on their storage. Were they stored, or were they made and used immediately? If they were stored, what materials and objects would have been used?

Thanks for any help,

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Storing medieval dyes

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Speaking for the 12th century, the implication of available evidence is that dyes were not stored as such, but used continuously, sometimes for weeks, with vats being kept simmering and cloth (and other materials such as wood and leather) being dyed in huge quantities. John of Garland reports that the dyer had tubs or vats which he heated over a fire. His common dyes were woad, madder and graine; a dyer was a marked man because of the permanent stains under his fingernails.

The dye plants would need to be stored in bulk, along with salt, wood ash and any other ingredients, but my own view I that the dye itself was used long-term, then a new batch was produced.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Jack Campin

Postby Jack Campin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:48 am

Your main problem might be making sure your hogshead of stale urine didn't come to the attention of the environmental health department or any American presidents with weird kinks.

john.holtripley

Postby john.holtripley » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies. So materials would be taken to the dyer rather than dye being produced and sold?
Any idea when dyes were sold for others to use? Or is that a relatively modern idea?

thanks again

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 pm

A London Guild of Dyers existed in the 12th century (mentioned in a document of 1188) and this meant a monopoly on industrial-scale dying. This would not rule out small-scale local dying using hedgerow plants, but to quote "The Medieval Dyer": Dye recipes and access to imported dye plants were jealously guarded by the medieval dyers' guilds and it was not until 1548 that a book containing dye recipes first became available to the general public.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Lady Willow

Postby Lady Willow » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 pm

What a good question!

I have used chopped madder which I bought in bulk, to dye wool in a cauldron over a fire in demonstrations at events. I have also collected black crottal (a kind of lichen, which gives the most wonderful smell to the finished product!)

While I am being educated by the history (above), for my own use in re-enactment, I keep my dyestuffs in small wooden boxes. Interestingly enough, when I store the boxes between seasons, the mice don's see interested... not a nibble.

Not sure if that was what you were asking, just my tuppence worth. :)

"When the facts change, I change my position. What do you do, sir?" John Keynes

john.holtripley

Postby john.holtripley » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 pm

That's really helpful - thanks for your replies

Return to “General History”