English Heritage want a new Olympic sport

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Henri De Ceredigion

English Heritage want a new Olympic sport

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:12 pm

(Source: The Guardian, July 21st 2016)

There is far more to it than two armoured horse riders hurtling towards each other with 12ft lances. Jousting demands levels of athleticism, agility and equestrianism that make it an ideal candidate for the Olympics, English Heritage argues.The organisation has launched a campaign to get jousting recognised as an Olympic sport in time for Tokyo 2020.

Now, it is very clear that English Heritage want this, however there are a number of things that they have slightly overlooked. Firstly, there are the rules. An sport can only become an Olympic sport if a) the IOC recognises it as a sport (that happens if the activity have administration by an international non-governmental organization that oversees at least one sport), then b) the international organization administering the sport must enforce the Olympic Movement Anti-Doping Code, including conducting effective out-of-competition tests on the sport's competitors, while maintaining rules set forth by the Olympic Charter, followed by c) a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents, and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents.

It is this last element that I believe will see jousting's attempt come to a grinding halt as I do not believe there are any countries in the world where ladies are allowed to joust (if I am wrong in that assumption, that I would be happy to be proved wrong) but if all that happens and the IOC give jousting a place there is one final thing that means jousting can NEVER be in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and that thing is the closing date for submissions for new sports was September 28th 2015 (in other words, English Heritage are a year too late).

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: English Heritage want a new Olympic sport

Postby John Waller » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06 pm

PR stunt surely?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:14 pm

Apparently its genuine.

EH never said in time for Tokyo, that bit was invented by the Gruinard.
Comically the OP point about female jousters was also covered by the Gruinard the same day.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/jun/23/women-to-take-on-men-in-medieval-jousts-at-english-heritage-sites

A classic example of always check the primary sources and research fully.

Jack Campin

Postby Jack Campin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Wouldn't quarterstaff be a bit more feasible?

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Jack Campin wrote:Wouldn't quarterstaff be a bit more feasible?

Quarterstaff wasn't typically used wearing appropriate protective equipment though. I don't think modern western audiences would generally be in favour of slow-mo footage of what just happened to one competitor's skull when 8' of 2" diameter oak contacted it at speed... Or maybe I'm wrong there :P .
Pole-axe OTOH :D has all the potential for technological investment :thumbup: Think of the impact (sic) of a H.A.L. suit (http://hothardware.com/news/hal-exoskeleton-suit-hits-mass-production-4200) and the resulting feedback in investment! :lol: :sick:

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Alan E wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:Wouldn't quarterstaff be a bit more feasible?

Quarterstaff wasn't typically used wearing appropriate protective equipment though. I don't think modern western audiences would generally be in favour of slow-mo footage of what just happened to one competitor's skull when 8' of 2" diameter oak contacted it at speed... Or maybe I'm wrong there :P .

You very much are- quarterstaff was a massive spectator and participatory sport at one point, complete with protective equipment-
Details here-
http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/quarterstaff.htm

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 am

Phil, that is surely conflating quarterstaff with Silver's short staff? Different beasts (despite what the Victorians called it)?

Edit: Ah yes! as acknowledged in the linked article:
In this essay, I suggest that the sport of quarterstaff fencing as practised between 1870 and 1898 was not a direct, lineal continuation of the traditional art, but rather a Victorian innovation or reconstruction drawing upon three main influences. These included the widespread availability of bamboo, the boom in sporting equipment manufacture, and the popularity of the Robin Hood legends.

The traditional English staff was a sturdy weapon of oak or similar hardwood, difficult to manoeuvre with any regard for a sparring partner's safety. It's important to remember that Figg and his contemporaries were professional fighters, willing to risk injury in un-armoured, full-contact bouts with weapons (although it was suspected at the time that some professionals fixed their fights, in the manner of modern pro-wrestlers.) The danger of fencing with oak staves may have dissuaded amateurs from taking up the art recreationally, in contrast to the gladiators who fought to earn their living.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Maga22

Postby Maga22 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 am

I can't see this happening, lol!

Return to “General History”