Christmas Pilgrimage from Southampton to Canterbury

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

The Peddler

Christmas Pilgrimage from Southampton to Canterbury

Postby The Peddler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi all, Peddler here.

I am looking to embark on a project this winter. In short, I want to walk the ancient pilgrimage route from Southampton, via Bishops Waltham, to Canterbury, but in medieval kit.
I am aiming to get to Canterbury Cathedral on Christmas day.
This is in preparation for a bigger project next year.

My question is this........I am going to need some pretty robust gear as I will potentially be sleeping out the whole way a la 14th century (yes I know they would have slept at inns, Monasteries etc, but this will be just before xmas so booking may be a problem, also I can't guarantee where I'll be at any particular time).

I am looking for any good resources you've come across on pilgrimages, pilgrims and especially their equipment

I am also looking for advice on gear and manufacturers for things like boots, cloaks, backpack, walking stick, hat, hood etc, Or for the materials to make them out of.
I have walked many a long distance path in my time, but never in medieval kit, so the sorts of things that would help would be thoughts on things like:
Boots vs shoes?
Oiled leather cloak vs woollen cloak, what weight of wool?
Clogs vS pattens?
Hat vs Hood, or both?
Wicker backpack vs oiled canvas shoulder bag?

Thanks for any help.......

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Christmas Pilgrimage from Southampton to Canterbury

Postby Brother Ranulf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:45 pm

See my reply in the costume section.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Return to “General History”