Medieval padlocks

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Tomm

Medieval padlocks

Postby Tomm » Sun May 21, 2006 1:54 pm

Does anyone have some good sources for medieval padlock and lock??
I would be grateful for any pictures or diagrams with places of excavations or museums.

X

Postby X » Mon May 22, 2006 7:54 am

http://www.pastperfect.org.uk/sites/thr ... /1426.html

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/uplo ... graphy.pdf - this is a good one: check out the picture on the cover for an X-ray which shows working parts.

http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/wgate/main/life1.php Click on the hotlink of the find number and it will take you to further details including more X-rays.

this is just the result of a quick Google search. Search terms "medieval padlock" then "fifteenth century" padlock then "15th century" padlock. If you're looking for a different century, you can obviously re-do the search accordingly. I've ignored everything that wasn't an archeology site - there are sites selling what they say are genuine artefacts (and quite possibly are), but without provenance I wouldn't say for definite. There are lots more sites that I didn't look at - I thought you'd enjoy browsing yourself.

If you are near Stafford, the castle visitor centre used to have a replica barrel lock. They probably still have it.

Or if you're near Kenilworth next week, you could come and have a look at our barrel lock and even have a play with it.

Barrel locks are the simplest locks, and pretty easy to make.

What are you planning to do?

Tomm

Postby Tomm » Mon May 22, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks for all sources. I found them very interesing and helpfull.
I will gladly visit castle you mentioned during my next (first) visit in your country :wink:
I plann to make few models of mediaval padlocks that`s why I was looking for documentation.

Skeg

Postby Skeg » Mon May 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi Tomm,

You can also have a look at the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) website at www.finds.org.uk - there is a searchable finds database on there and I've seen a few barrel padlocks on there. Use the search tool and type 'locking mechanism' as the 'object type' (this is what all locks are labelled as on the database as part of the British Museum thesaurus). You can also do a mulitple search and type in 'medieval' under the 'period from' category. Nearly all finds recorded on the database have pictures attached and detailed descriptions with measurements etc. If you have any problems searching on the database, let me know.

The PAS record archaeological finds found nationwide by metal detectorists, field walkers etc.

I hope this helps, Caz.

X

Postby X » Tue May 23, 2006 7:42 am

We will only be at Kenilworth next week, unfortunately, for the Medieval Living Village event. We will all be going home after that (for a hot shower and the thrill of electric lights) and, of course, our barrel lock will be going with us. :D

When will you be in the country?

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Look at 1 and 2 the key hole is at the front
Attachments
S3010064.JPG

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:03 pm

These were found in Holland its in the Amsterdam Museum
Attachments
S3010065.JPG

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:04 pm

again
Attachments
S3010063.JPG

Wobbly Paul

Postby Wobbly Paul » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 am

I think Matuls (http://www.matuls.pl/) may do a replica barrel lock as well?

Return to “General History”