coin identification

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Campin

coin identification

Postby Jack Campin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:38 am

I work for a charity shop. This week we had an odd coin collection donated. Not from a serious collector - no albums or cataloguing, just a few heavy tins of random stuff, but not your usual holiday leftovers.

Some of it I think I can work out easily enough, like the New Zealand decimalization commemorative crown, the Roman copper coin, the local authority banknotes from France in WW1 or the pennies and silver coins from the reigns of the earlier Georges. And thanks to an Indian volunteer I can suss out some 19th century British India stuff. But there are several of one thing that baffles me. They're made of some kind of very dark bronze - deep red copper-coloured on the front and back, almost black on the edges. They have fragmentary bits of rather crude inscription in an Arabic-like script, they're about 2cm wide and 0.5cm thick, and very heavy. I wondered if they might have been used as weights rather than coinage; the edges are not milled or cut precisely cylindrical as a stamp would do it - they look as if they might have been cut out of larger coins with a chisel.

Anyone know good places where a charity might look to get stuff like this identified and priced?

davetmoneyer

Re: coin identification

Postby davetmoneyer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 am

Check for coin shops in your area on google, or take them for identification to D. Bateson at the Huntarian Museum Glasgow

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

Return to “General History”