Cheating with air drying clay

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

FionaDowson

Cheating with air drying clay

Postby FionaDowson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Granted that firing clay on a bonfire seems to be a hit and miss affair and requires a large garden, has anyone ever made Saxon style pottery using air drying clay? I found a short video on you tube of someone making Saxon style coil pots and thought it looked fairly easy. Then again, thing always do until you try doing them yourself.

bilbobaglin

Re: Cheating with air drying clay

Postby bilbobaglin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:33 pm

I have used air drying clay for making board game pieces and it works okay for that. I did stick them in the oven at a low heat to make sure they were really dry. Unfortunately the issue is when they get wet again in the rain they start to soften and the terracotta colour comes off on everything. I certainly wouldn't want to drink out of a cup made from it! If that's not an issue then you probably will be fine. If it is I would seriously consider buying some glazed cups and pots instead, there is a potter whose name escapes me but who does TORM and Tatton Park. His stuff doesn't break the bank and he knows his onions.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Cheating with air drying clay

Postby guthrie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:10 pm

That's probably Jim the pot, of Trinity Court potteries you are talking about, he's usually at Tewkesbury as well.

Return to “General History”