Arrow / arrow head removal

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Arrow / arrow head removal

Postby Phoenix Rising » Fri May 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Read an article the other day describing the instrument that John Bradmore used to take out the arrow head that had embedded itself into the young (soon to be) Henry V at the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1403.

He was obviously lucky to have someone as inventive as Bradmore, but it set me wondering how, without the benefits of such a device, were arrows /arrow heads removed other than by pushing them all the way through, and what treatments would have been used thereafter to help prevent wound infection / promote closure of wounds?

Thoughts anyone?

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Re: Arrow / arrow head removal

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 am

Hector cole would be a good person to talk to I think, he has made a copy of the tool, do a search and im sure you will find him

forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:41 pm

The Iron Dwarf wrote:Hector cole would be a good person to talk to I think, he has made a copy of the tool, do a search and im sure you will find him

Cheers, Yes, I did find him - contacted him by email but at £196 for a copy of it the price was a little steep for my pocket!

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Brother Kevfael wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Treatment-Prehistory-Nineteenth-Century/dp/0957137702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401633411&sr=8-1&keywords=ouch+a+history

Thanks for that - I'll chase it up when I get home (at sea at the present moment)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I made one years ago for the Two Men in Trench series, I heard it was put in museum and then someone pinched it but I don't know if that's true.

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:19 am

Phoenix Rising wrote:
The Iron Dwarf wrote:Hector cole would be a good person to talk to I think, he has made a copy of the tool, do a search and im sure you will find him

Cheers, Yes, I did find him - contacted him by email but at £196 for a copy of it the price was a little steep for my pocket!

was not thinking of you buying it but more getting info about it and Hector is a very helpful guy

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks Iron Dwarf - Yes, he's been quite helpful and pointed me in the direction of some articles of interest, so thanks for the suggestion :)

MissLaura

Postby MissLaura » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:07 pm

That is a great book, really enjoyed reading it myself

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

I take it you are referring to barbed heads? I guess you have been referred to Kevin'sbook about letting wounds putrify, keeping wounds open and probing etc but there is another trick. Take two quills with ends cut off so you have something like a strew. Slide down entry wound and fiddle around ignoring screams until you get them over the barbs. Grasp shaft of arrow if still present or forceps and quills at same time and withdraw.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Langley wrote:I take it you are referring to barbed heads? I guess you have been referred to Kevin'sbook about letting wounds putrify, keeping wounds open and probing etc but there is another trick. Take two quills with ends cut off so you have something like a strew. Slide down entry wound and fiddle around ignoring screams until you get them over the barbs. Grasp shaft of arrow if still present or forceps and quills at same time and withdraw.

Yes, I've got Kevin's book now (and very good it is too), but haven't heard of this method. When you say to cut the ends off the quills do you mean snip off the feathered end and use the bit that's left to push down into the wound and over the barbs? Sorry if sound dense but just checking for clarity, and do you have a source for this ?(in case I'm ever asked)

Brother Kevfael

Postby Brother Kevfael » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks for the compliments Phoenix.

Trust me the techniques in the book, (complete with references)

Placing reeds pens over barbs first originated with the roman surgeon Celsus, quills are an adaption of that.

However, it is also a technque used by some indigenous people.

Chicken and egg time!

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Brother Kevfael wrote:Thanks for the compliments Phoenix.

Trust me the techniques in the book, (complete with references)

Placing reeds pens over barbs first originated with the roman surgeon Celsus, quills are an adaption of that.

However, it is also a technque used by some indigenous people.

Chicken and egg time!

Cheers for that, Kevin, found it now! ~ (helps if I look in the right bit, don't it?) :roll: :D

bernard02

Postby bernard02 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:37 am

Phoenix Rising wrote:Cheers for that, Kevin, found it now! ~ (helps if I look in the right bit, don't it?) :roll: :D

Well I guess he just only that resourceful and smart as well.

Return to “General History”