What's wrong with the movie Braveheart?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

StaffordCleggy

Post by StaffordCleggy »

Remember folks, the whole film wasn't aimed at British (of any description) film-goers, it was aimed purely at ignorant colonials with an over-romanticised view of their own family history.

These 'Scottish Americans' really want to blame the English for everything (& they do) because it is much easier to accept than admitting it was Scottish (in the main) Clan Lords who kicked their ancestors of the land.

I had a very 'interesting' internet discussion with an otherwise intelligent American who staunchly maintained that the indigenous Scots were not 'British' because they do not accept the idea of a British State...

I repeatedly tried to point out that i was referring to indigenous Scots being native Britons as opposed to the ancestors of the AEnglish, who are racially Germanic, but he just refused to see the point.

They WANT the Clan Mcshortbread, tartan-clad savage ideal, it's who they think they are & no amount of education will change it.
"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
- Anne Lamott

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

the grass was far too green - more welsh or kiwi.

i like braveheart, just as I like prince of theives. i'm intelligent enough to realise they are not first hand or ideal places to look for authenticity or historical informaiton.
just as I wouldn't include a knights tale, first knight, arthur or a medival conneticut at the court of king arthur in the list of historically authentic films

anyway wasn't bravehart the same plot as "the patriot"? i was disappointed after "we were soldeirs" by finding out that the vietnam war wasn't the englishs fault (although it could be said that it was due to the collapse of colonialism)

i have seen his last one about the south american indians - does that have a new plot?
and did the english cruxify jesus or does gibson's mad looney strain of catholism blame the jews?

Scraggles

Post by Scraggles »

always look on films to entertain as they are fiction and only a tard could think they are accurately based on what happened at the time

not interested if they are totally historically accurate with the right clothes, all hand stitched of course as long as the overall impression is ok

recent stuff with the yanks winning the war alone would be annoyed about and recall some uboat film that never got around to watching...

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Aye but the hitting and killing scenes are fun. It's a film for goodness sake, not a documentary. if some people see it as such then it's the task of such as us to explain otherwise. bessides yose english are responsipble for everything going wrong, sure now isn't Eve and Pandora good English names? Mind you the wee irish fella in it was a right daft B***cks. he'd never stand a chance if he were to come to Derry and call himself "King of Ireland" pogue mahone! to you boyo!
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

guthrie wrote: if you want a real laugh, google for "Prince michael of Albany", who is a deluded (possibly even clinically insane) bloke who goes around pretending he is descended from Prince Charles edward Stuart. If i ever meet him I intend to tell him he's a fool, and challenge his entire entourage to a duel.
I think you'll find that he got put in a boat and sent across the sea. Re-enacting BPC's journey no doubt :roll:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Yes, funny how he can't deal with Her Majestys Immigration service, I think it was.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Where these films always fall down most, of course, isn't the costume or the historical accuracy or any of it - it's the wigs. :D

Why spend all that £££ making some elaborate film - the whole premise of film being to be credible and to draw you into another world - if you can't suspend disbelief because they all have dodgy syrups? Americans can never get costume right so I doubt anyone expects it anyway - but surely they could make a convincing wig? :lol:

nix

Post by nix »

na im looking forward to the mel gibson flick about modern iraq and afgan were he blames the brits for starting it and draging little old america into it kicking and screaming, and then defends us against all the drug crazed religious fanatics, hmm maybe he could save money and use clips from mad max movies, ... as the good american steal, i mean rescue the oil from the scantly clad women worshiping leather wastcoat and thong wareing bike riding muslim militia!
well it would be as realistic.
(but i did like apocalispo and we were soldiers)
im like a bad case of genital warts.
im an irritable c?@t ,
that keeps on coming back,
but i grow on you

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

nix that was spot on in all but one aspect - you got to work jesus in there somewhere. Everywhere. Every scene. And subtitles all round.

nix

Post by nix »

ah but youve just given away the end were george bush reveals his secrete identy
im an irritable c?@t ,
but i grow on you

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

ssshhhh dont mention the jews
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

nix

Post by nix »

na i think mel gibson likes to take it in turns on whos going to be the bad guys in his moves, hes had his anti english fase(patriot+brave heart), then his anti jews(passion christ), pagans/heathens (apocolipto) there cant be many left hes even done comunision(we were soldiers)
im an irritable c?@t ,
but i grow on you

Mr Dreadful

Post by Mr Dreadful »

For all it's flaws, Braveheart is an awesome film.

Sure... it's filmed in Ireland, has an Australian playing the title role, and I don't think has a single genuine Scot in the main cast. But it does feature big, loud and gory battles. What more could you need?

Well... a few zombies wouldn't have gone amiss. :P
LRPer, Medieval Martial Artist, Buyer of Too Much Costume...

Wait a minute, is there such a thing as 'too much' costume?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

...projectile view shots from siege weapons being shot into the opposing armies?...
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Mr Dreadful wrote:For all it's flaws, Braveheart is an awesome film.

Sure... it's filmed in Ireland, has an Australian playing the title role, and I don't think has a single genuine Scot in the main cast. But it does feature big, loud and gory battles. What more could you need?

Well... a few zombies wouldn't have gone amiss. :P
They should have gone the whole hog and got the scriptwriters from the Carry On series to write for it!
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Mr Dreadful

Post by Mr Dreadful »

zauberdachs wrote:...projectile view shots from siege weapons being shot into the opposing armies?...
Hoh yus!
LRPer, Medieval Martial Artist, Buyer of Too Much Costume...

Wait a minute, is there such a thing as 'too much' costume?

David F

Post by David F »

So just clarify for me,
What is wrong with Braveheart?, the glaring liberties with history?, the Battle of Stirling Bridge?,(no bridge),
The town of Lanark being surrouded by 3000 foot mountains? (filmed in Glen Nevis),
Kilts and woad (no further comments needed), buckets of mud over everything, and some dodgy accents?
Or the fact the English are most definitely the bad guys?
I'm a militant agnostic-
If you don't believe as I do, I come round and burn a question mark in your lawn....

nix

Post by nix »

we were never bad guys it just a bad misinteritation, everyone loves us english, and wants us to rule there countrys for them, escesaly back then..

i'll just be quite now befor someone kills me.
im an irritable c?@t ,
but i grow on you

Allan Harley

Post by Allan Harley »

Too late - address and favoured sleeping habits duly noted.

As a park your brain and watch silly action its up there with the best - but what other country would put up a statue that looks like an Australian actor wearing a picnic blanket and then have people willing to have their photo taken with it?

Next - Owen Glyndwr - versus the Evil English - he's about the right age now :lol:
Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Followed by the Tolpuddle Martyrs against the evil English
The Lollards vs the evil English
Duke of Monmouth vs the evil English
Theres a series in this if we could pitch it right :D
That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Allan Harley wrote:Too late - address and favoured sleeping habits duly noted.

As a park your brain and watch silly action its up there with the best - but what other country would put up a statue that looks like an Australian actor wearing a picnic blanket and then have people willing to have their photo taken with it?

Next - Owen Glyndwr - versus the Evil English - he's about the right age now :lol:
The statue was put up by members of the Clown, sorry, Clan Wallace society who were the 'technical directors' (despite obviously knowing sod all about the period) to the film.

Interesting fact: That statue has been defaced by more people than is possible to imagine. Even the statues of Saddam Hussein (after the fall of Iraq) were treated with more respect than that pile of rubbish.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

glaelia

Post by glaelia »

The main thing wrong with it is its so long, every time I've tried to watch it, I've fallen asleep ....

egfroth

Post by egfroth »

American, not Australian. Spent his early years here, though.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

perhaps we should start a what's right with it thread?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

perhaps we should start a what's right with it thread?
That didn't take long then did it? :D
Lurv 'n' Kizzez