Medieval Finland

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Mordengaard

Medieval Finland

Post by Mordengaard »

A good friend of mine came over from Finland to visit us at Tewkesbury and had "the time of my life" (so thanks for making him welcome!), and is now interested in returning next year as a medieval Finnish mercenary. Has anyone got any good links, references, ISBNs etc that I can pass on with my own research?
Mordengaard, aka "Little Richard"
The Company of the Black Serpent

wulfenganck

Re: Medieval Finland

Post by wulfenganck »

Hmm, AFAIK Finland belonged for about 600 years to the kingdiom if Sweden, from around 1200 to the early 19th ct. My guess would be that they followed swedish fashion and culture?
The Guild of St. Olaus is a top quality reenactment group for the late 15th ct, I have met members on various events and it was always great fun and high quality reenactment.
Maybe you'll (or your friend) find some useful links there: http://www.olofsgillet.org/
Apart from that Turku seems to be a fairly old (and episcopal) city; there are museums and a castle worth visiting (as I've been told....)

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Yes, as an auxilery of the Swedish. Which means even more backward (backwoods) then the Swedes, who wore even more dated stuff than the Danes, whose stuff was old German stuff.There is a sketch of late 15th century Swedes fighting Landknechts, they look as if they are wearing mid 14th century armour.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

What is now called Finland was then regarded as a pagan wilderness where assorted Popes sanctioned the Northern Crusades.
The three basic Osprey books to check out are:-
Medieval Scandinavian Armies: 1100-1300 Pt. ISBN: 1841765051
Medieval Scandinavian Armies: 1300-1500 v. 2 ISBN: 1841765066
The Scandinavian Baltic Crusades 11th-15th Centuries ISBN: 1841769886

Their bibliographies are a useful starting point.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Although to be fair there were large numbers of Finnish Christians of both Catholic and Orthodox traditions by the 15th century. Not that the latter didn't suffer as a result of being deemed "pagan" on account of belonging to what the papacy saw as being the wrong church, nor were the former any luckier when they encountered Orthodox Russians.
The only fly in the ointment as far as I am concerned is that the chances of a Finnish mercenary turning up in England in 1471 is remote, but ifit's only going to eb at Tewkesbury where 300 years of medieval history can be seen on one battlefield I doubt that it'll make any difference-more's the pity.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote: where 300 years of medieval history can be seen on one battlefield I doubt that it'll make any difference-more's the pity.
Not forgetting the 'Late Brothers Grimm, early Cinderella' period which is fairly well represented there too.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Ali Barber and Capt. Jack Sparrow normally get a look in as well.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Mordengaard

Post by Mordengaard »

Thanks all for that information, I've managed to stop him buying kit based on films he's seen already, and pointed him in the right direction!
Mordengaard, aka "Little Richard"
The Company of the Black Serpent