What is wrong with the film, The Patriot?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Wasn't Moore on 9/11,but one of the other 7th officers...strangely enough,a Cornishman originally..not sure of the name without digging the book out..Restorick or something like that?...Have always fancied having a group of Tarleton's Dragoon's...Like Nigel,I think it was the portrait that did it..a definate Beau Sabreur.
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Everild Sweordbora

Postby Everild Sweordbora » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 pm

I love that portrait.

(If anyone's not seen it :

“There is no good. There is only best.” ~By the Sword~

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:42 pm

Jim Smith wrote:
Guthrie: Of course - good to see someone from north of the wall finally admitting to it. :wink:

But the Scots did a lot of the work...

heheheheheee.

Everild Sweordbora

Postby Everild Sweordbora » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:53 pm

*is sitting on the fence on this one.*

I'm not saying a word. Not only do I come from Newcastle, which is pretty much border country (part of Hadrian's Wall is still visible about 10 mins walk away from my house), but I'm part (I think about a 1/4) Scottish myself.... ;)

Dathi

Postby Dathi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:52 am

I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that the reason Hollywood uses English actors to play badies is that English Actors can act.

I'd comment on Kneau Reeves in "Much ado about Nothing" or whatever it's called, where Keanu Reeves was successfully outacted by a chair,a table and a wall. But I can't find it in myself to ooutwit an unarmed actor this early in the morning at work. Or I could comment on a Hollywood remake of the French film Nikta (?) Where the lead was also outacted by the set, including tinned food

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:17 am

I love that portrait.

It would appear that wearing a blackcock tied to your head scares the horses!!!

Borsch Monster

Postby Borsch Monster » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:35 am

Anonymous wrote:......taking nazi war crimes and rewriting them into the18thC and attributing them to the British, but hey why let truth interfere with a ropey story.

Well there was a massacre of a deeply religious Christian community.

On 7.3.1782 Ninety three unarmed men women & children were clubbed to death & scalped in the Moravian settlement of Gnadenhutten. The next day further victims were rounded up, killed & scalped. then the bodies were piled up in the schoolhouse which was burned along with the rest of the village to hide the crime.

The victims were members of the Munsee & Delaware tribes.
The perpitrators were "patriots" who were after the bounty paid by the Pennsylvania legislature.

The fact is we lost the war because we were too nice & were trying to force the rebels to the negotiating table instead of crushing them & burning the homes of their supporters. Which might have caused martyrs & made the colony more difficult to govern in the future. The Rebels had no such compunctions who attacked & dispossesed Loyalist civilians.

I would recomend Rebels & Redcoats by High Bicheno
ISBN 0-00-715626-x

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:11 pm

I sent a copy of that portrait to an American friend of mine. He's an ex major in the US army, a re-enactor who despises the American Silly War (as he puts it) and their current government.

But on receiving picture of Tarleton he asked me if I would like a picture of Hitler in return? Following on from Nigel's post, they use Tarleton's Justice as a term for taking no prisoners.

Steve: The Tarleton helmet is by far and away one of the nicest hats ever designed anywhere in the world - EVER. You get the light infantry kit, I'll get the green coat and we'll see if you can fit on the back of my mare :wink:

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Everild Sweordbora

Postby Everild Sweordbora » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm

heheh - yeah, it does look like it's the helmet that's scaring the horses!

Tis a cool helmet though. :D

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:38 pm

No wonder I caused a fuss when I named Tarleton as my favourite AWI character on a US forum.....Andy,...Only if we get some Gibson look-a-likes to ride down......
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:47 am

I believe part of the issue with portraying slavery is that American cinema does not alow for the showing of black people in any kind of subservient role unless it is balanced by portraying black people in positions of authority. If you think about Glory there were black Bostonian fathers to complement the slaves.

It's also why there were no black seamen in Hornblower - the yanks wouldn't have bought it if there had been. Not sure how Master and Comander got away with it.

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

EmanwelOfGwent

Postby EmanwelOfGwent » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:25 am

Maybe it was a trade off - they got away with changing the enemy ship's nationality (which would audiences like least - an authentic lack of balancing or the film ending with the Americans loosing?)

"O Lord, Please remove thy thumb"
the Theif Filewood, attempting to claim benefit of clergy

temporary guy

Postby temporary guy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 pm

"the yanks wouldn't have bought it if there had been"

Ironic as at that time black sailors were as free and equal as any other serving man on a RN ship, if anything a symbol of equity and normality, likely to be more so than blacks in the US, maybe that was another reason....

I know it only happened the once in the RN but John Perkins was an Admiral, he was black and served a long time on the Caribbean station, he sure as hell had black sailors as well as whites.

caveat <all above comments are opinions - any resemblance to facts alive or dead is entirely coincidental >

caveat inspired by a true caveat by Guthrie. ;-)

Return to “General History”