Insurance of costume collection

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Claudia Aliffe

Insurance of costume collection

Post by Claudia Aliffe »

I've started hiring out my costume collection to historic houses etc. And it got me thinking about insurance. They are covered whilst in storage but what about when they are out and about?

I have been told that you can't get insurance for costume and accessories etc, and that they come under standard house insurance if you have them at home. So what happens if something happens if they are on someone elses property or something happens if you are out at a re-enactment event.

Is there any way of insuring costumes both reproduction nad genuine and their relevant accessories?

I'm guessing that others out there have come across similar problems and may have the solution for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Claudia

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

Claudia,

I have moved this to General History as this section is purely for help with the forum itself.

Skevmeister
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

You can get insurance for anything if you ask the right people (but I am not sure who they are!) Try contacting any local collections and asking how they cover their insurance for loan collections - and check with the place you are lending to to see if their insurance covers your stuff. You might find if you are doing this commercialy the household insurance company wouldn't be too happy if you made a claim.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

As a possible part way solution, you could add a clause to your standard hiring out paperwork that insists that the borrower is responsible for any damage, that way its their insurance that needs to cover it. If you work along the same basic lines as a museum you could issue a condition report when the garment is collected (eg all buttons present, no stains, freshly laundered etc etc) and if it isnt in an equivalent condition on return the borrower is liable for the cleaning or repair costs. Might help get people to take your kit seriously

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Our re-enactment kit is insured when out of the house on our contents insurance (up to a certain limit which I forget at this precise moment).

Whenever I hire or loan anything (be it our kit or work stuff) to any company or agency, I prepare a short form in advance, which I get signed by someone who has the authority to do so, before I hand over anything.

It basically says what sally suggests - it outlines that costs of repairs and / or cleaning will be pased onto the hirer in full, at cost, and states that if the goods are damaged / stained beyond a point where they can be cleaned or repaired, the hirer agrees to pay the replcement cost of... .
I then attach another sheet which lists all the items that they are borrowing / hiring, and gives the replacement value of each item.

hope it helps!!

debs

PS - the costume secton might have been a better place to ask this.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Scraggles

Post by Scraggles »

find a costume hire company like a fancy dress or similair, ask them about hiring some kit from them say for a stag night, explain that you want to use it for similair things without letting them know the reason and ask to see what sort of T&C they would impose.

There is a good chance they will give you an A4 piece of paper with exactly what you are after :)

might even find some online :)

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

just thought - based on scraggles post - there's acompan that does fancy dress hire online, and they must have t's & c's on their site somewhere - it's http://www.exult.co.uk

debs
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Claudia Aliffe

Post by Claudia Aliffe »

Hi,

Thanks everyone for that. You have certainly given me ideas on how to approach it. Currently I have had to put all my costume into easily accessible storage as I have so badly run out of room at home and I'm covered up to £4,000.00 if anything goes horribly wrong there.

Certainly when hiring stuff out I will attach a clause about damage whilst in use.

I think that'll get me out trouble short term until I can rescue my collection from the storage unit!

Thanks all!!

Claudia
XX
This is a local shop for local people...