Pure Frustration

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Cathy the slayer

Pure Frustration

Post by Cathy the slayer »

Northamptonshire has done it again, I know there are the remain's of a Motte & Bailey in the pocket park in boughton, we used to play there as children, But can i find out more than that? no nothing at all except some information about the ruined st johns church, very frustrating, perhaps there may be somewhere else I should look, any idea's anyone :^)

As we are Having the bash within a few hundred yard's or so from the old motte & bailey remain's I thought we could arrange a walk to look at it, but all i can say is here it is & nothing more, not good enough for me never mind a visitor :eh:
Discounts for re-enactors on Bespoke Hand Made Frames for all sorts of artwork, fabrics & objects, from thimbles to swords, Fine art Guild member

Anthony of the MSS

Post by Anthony of the MSS »

Cathy - I have a book on castles in east midlands which mentions it as being in moulton, which may be confusing things. Failing that I have some contacts in Northamptonshire archeology that I will ask - I'm already working with them about some suspected arrowhead finds from the 1460 battle.

Was going to try and pop down and spectate this coming weekend as im up the road in Brixworth, but as I've just become a dad of a 12lb 2oz monster baby son I'm playing it by ear ( though the Saints will be wanting him I suspect) If I do come I'll bring the book.

Cheers,

Anthony

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Re: Pure Frustration

Post by Merlon. »

Is this the pocket park you are referring to?
Its listed as a boundary going back to the thirteenth century around a deer park.

There was a fortified Manor house or Castle in Moulton, according to the parish council, north of the church. The English Heritage National Monuments Record for this site lists the limited information Record

The National Monuments Record has 67 entries within a 2Km radius of Boughton, none relate to a castle

Cathy the slayer

Re: Pure Frustration

It is in boughton pocket park, when we were kid's it was a grazing field for my freind's ponie's it has the newting pond in it which of course was a great place for us to learn about natural history, we did release the vast quantities of newt's & stickle back's we caught there, lol mum would have had a fit if we brought them home, also along with the common smooth & crested, there were a very few of the greater crested newt's & hopefully there still is
Discounts for re-enactors on Bespoke Hand Made Frames for all sorts of artwork, fabrics & objects, from thimbles to swords, Fine art Guild member

Cathy the slayer

Re:

Anthony of the MSS wrote:Cathy - I have a book on castles in east midlands which mentions it as being in moulton, which may be confusing things. Failing that I have some contacts in Northamptonshire archeology that I will ask - I'm already working with them about some suspected arrowhead finds from the 1460 battle.

Was going to try and pop down and spectate this coming weekend as im up the road in Brixworth, but as I've just become a dad of a 12lb 2oz monster baby son I'm playing it by ear ( though the Saints will be wanting him I suspect) If I do come I'll bring the book.

Cheers,

Anthony
Any information you can find would be most appreciated.
You will be most welcome, & congrat's on your new son, wow, that is a Huge baby, Chris was only 5lb10oz, lol, Now 27 year's later he has just got Engaged to a lovely young lady with the patience of a saint lol