Can you help me with Tudor question please?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTodd

Can you help me with Tudor question please?

Postby AuraTodd » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:22 pm

What could happen if a person who was a member of King Henry 8th court had immortaility and was still alive?

This is probably an odd question but I would like to know what could happen if a man lived during the 16th century at the time of King Henry 8th as a courtier (advisor or steward etc) who had links with the king, and had eternal life through something he had done? How would he adapt to each century change? This is for an arts project I am doing, and have been asked to draft together a fantasy story from the 16th century to 2001. Any input would be most helpful. Many thanks.

If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know as this is my first posting.
Attachments
thomas_cromwell.jpg
Just an example of character.
thomas_cromwell.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

Blessed be all sisters

Theotherone

Re: Can you help me with Tudor question please?

Postby Theotherone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:57 pm

AuraTodd wrote:What could happen if a person who was a member of King Henry 8th court had immortaility and was still alive?

This is probably an odd question but I would like to know what could happen if a man lived during the 16th century at the time of King Henry 8th as a courtier (advisor or steward etc) who had links with the king, and had eternal life through something he had done? How would he adapt to each century change? This is for an arts project I am doing, and have been asked to draft together a fantasy story from the 16th century to 2001. Any input would be most helpful. Many thanks.

If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know as this is my first posting.

For some reason when I saw this the first thing to leap to mind was Orlando, closely followed by Hob Gadlng in Gaiman's Sandman, different time frames and details tho.

Because there would have to be three of them.

abaddon1974

Postby abaddon1974 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 pm

It might be worth doing a search for information about the Count of St Germain or Comte de Saint Germain which is a legend or story about an immortal Count who has appeared in various guises throughout history.

Cheers
Craig

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:31 pm

He'd look like the fella who plays the vampire in Moonlight (well he is meant to be the illegitamte son of Henry VIII)

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Try getting hold of Nicholas Monsarrat's Mater Mariner books - central character cursed from the time of the Armada.

In general, I would think that, providing the character doesn't physically age, the rate of change in society would be such that he could adapt to the changes as they happened (like many folk now have adapted to television, tinternet, re-enactment and other strange modern phenomena). They could do a good line of "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" or "Well the "Good Olde Days" were actually fairly cr@p" however, haiving been there!

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

AuraTodd

Thanks.

Postby AuraTodd » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:He'd look like the fella who plays the vampire in Moonlight (well he is meant to be the illegitamte son of Henry VIII)

I thought that was a novel. I have watched a few episodes but didn't think his old man was the king Henry 8th. Can you explain more please?

Blessed be all sisters

Sophia
Post Centurion

Re: Thanks.

Postby Sophia » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:14 pm

AuraTodd wrote:
Marcus Woodhouse wrote:He'd look like the fella who plays the vampire in Moonlight (well he is meant to be the illegitamte son of Henry VIII)

I thought that was a novel. I have watched a few episodes but didn't think his old man was the king Henry 8th. Can you explain more please?

Marcus is actually referring to the television series Blood Ties based on the novels by the Canadian author Tanya Huff. The male vampire is Henry Fitzroy, Earl of Richmond and bastard son of Henry VIII.

Soph :D

Edited to make sense. :roll: :oops:
Last edited by Sophia on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

AuraTodd

Postby AuraTodd » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 pm

It's not moonlight I don't think, because the vampire in that is suppossed to be a private detective I think. :?

Blessed be all sisters

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm

It is Moonlight not blood ties, and he is a detective who happens to be the earl of richmond.
I know my vampires.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Marcus, I beg to differ as I own the books and I would also refer you to the relevantwiki article. Henry Fitzroy's C21st job is as a writer of romantic fiction for women - the PI in this series is Vicki Nelson, at the end of the series of books Henry turns her into a vampire to save her life.

The vampire in Moonlight is indeed a PI - see wiki

Soph :D [/url]

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 am

Okay I don't know my vampires afterall. :oops:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Woodhouse pwned!

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Okay I don't know my vampires afterall. :oops:
well they a Bohemian speciality :wink:

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

ValTarrant

Re: Thanks.

Postby ValTarrant » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm

Sophia wrote:
Marcus is actually referring to the television series Blood Ties based on the novels by the Canadian author Tanya Huff. The male vampire is Henry Fitzroy, Earl of Richmond and bastard son of Henry VIII.

Soph :D

Thanks for this. I've just finished watching the DVD boxed set of all 22 episodes - best £5.98 I have spent at Amazon in a long time!

Val

Return to “General History”