Nice manners for C18th Misses and Masters - help?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Angie

Postby Angie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Redders,

Were they taken at Derby? Of course you can post them, if they will help Lidimy. Also would you be able to e-mail them to me. The ony picture I have from that evening is of tod and I stood under a "toilets this way sign" :roll:

There was a young woman from Wantage, to whom the town clerk took advantage,Said the Borough surveyor "Indeed you must pay 'er, you've totally altered her frontage"

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Thank you (:

I know it's not possible to get it right first tiem, but that's no excuse to let down other groups, either! I know that I can competently make a decent set of kit, I'm more concerned about the sheer amount of knowledge I will have to acquire! :o liiiike manners etc (d'you like the way I linked that back to the original post? quite smooth I thought.)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Redders

Postby Redders » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Very Swish!

On the subject of manners, being that it is the prevelent subject.
If it's of any assistance to you and your thoughts on this matter:

Chances are you'll be in a camp full of grotty and dirty soldiers
(Jacobite or Government, no difference) Also that's making the assumption you're gonna come play with Lace Wars?
Anyhow............

Back to the important bit.................................

Even if your manners do lacl a little for what you're aiming to portray
(Not that I believe for one moment they would)

Compared to the soldiers that wont be too far away you can only ever come accross as ANGELIC!

With that in mind i'd say don't worry about it too much and dive in to the experience.

Just enjoy, learn and above all. Have Fun

(Just avoid Redcoat Officers at all costs) :wink:

Redders

Postby Redders » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Angie,

Don't think I have any from Derby?????

I definately have one or two from Clivedon 07.
A Few more too i'm sure?

I'll dig them out later and wizz them off to you

:D

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Ok..Intensive easy reading course.......All quite fun & general!
Liza Picard: Dr Johnson's London
Lucy Moore:ConMen & Cutpurses AND The Thieves opera

If you want a background on the fighty stuff that was going on...
John Prebble: Culloden for the '45
Stephen Brumwell: White Devil for the colonial stuff

All in most libraries or in paperback
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Redders

Postby Redders » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Alternatively there's Steve Stanleys library which I recently had the pleasure of losing myself in :D

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Redders wrote:Alternatively there's Steve Stanleys library which I recently had the pleasure of losing myself in :D

Thought I heard something moving in the shelves........ :)
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Lidy, look forward to meeting up with you at a LW event somewhere. The meenister and I are members of LW (Rose and Thistle - RaT). Remember, if you're reading any Scottish history of the period that there is a lot of romantic twaddle, which isn't always accurate.

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 pm

So, Redders, your point is, that it is a lady's job to show up the coarse manners of the gunny types? :lol: Lovely 8)

I have to be honest - I'm can't get excited about the military dimension of any period (though some uniforms are nicer than others :") ) and so I would prefer to be in a group where LH isn't a side show to the main, military demos, unless I'm jumping to the wrong conclusions about LW...? Hence I think a group like The Mannered Mob may be more for me, and if the 18thC is all as, er, incestuous as Steve says then it doesn't matter too much anyway?

Please correct me if I'm wrong! (:

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 am

lidimy wrote:, and if the 18thC is all as, er, incestuous as Steve says then it doesn't matter too much anyway?

Out of the mouths of babes eh?

LW do events where the civilians are as much part of the show as the military and MM isn't just mincing around in big wigs and silk, infact the majority of events this year are lower/labouring class stuff, with the odd bit of mincing thrown inbetween for good measure =o)

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 am

Lidi,

Were a LH group first. Skirmishers second.
Yes we portray the military movements and life of the period.

If you're after 'Posh' and 'Upper Class' then certainly the MM is the way to go.

As for the ladies showing up the gunny types??? Wasn't quite what i was getting at lol.
Was more saying you could hide behind their brashness :wink: Whilst you gain your ettiquette (SP) confidence.

Tho, a good bawdy wench will always be welcome :P Huzzah!

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 am

It's OK Redders, I know what you mean! :D

Thanks for clarifying the civilian/military balance, I'd like to do posh stuff but I'm not that fussed!! It's more that I'd like the opportunity to tart about a bit, than insist on being silkified all the time (: Plus I imagine you get to learn more skills as a lower class person?

But I don't need to make an immediate decision do I... I'll see what the MM lady says. I'm actually v.annoyed because they'll be at Gressenhall in May, as will my dance group, but it's right before my exams and I really can't justify the day off :x

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:02 pm

YAY got a reply :D :D :D :D :D

A very long reply too.... I nenver knew that 18thC stripes were symmetrical not repeating! :shock: :D

Apparently stays are one of the most expensive parts of 18thC kit, so that's me well covered 8)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 am

Lidi - underwear (for supported periods) and shoes are the most expensive bits for any period - and the give-aways every time (after hair)if not right. Shout and I will give you pointers for economy which I found when doing Daughterene's kit. Looks better now as we have swapped her sleeve ruffles. But don't play cards with her - I am warned that she is a faro player born.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Off topic a bit and Angie, Steve or Redders may have told you this. If you didn't keep hiding at events I could have told you this in person :wink:

LW is a LH group that does a skirmish not a battle group. Our LH camps are open all day, none of this closing for lunch stuff. The bigger events are based around the Jacobite Rising 1745 but we do Highwaymen, Naval, and purely Regt events.
At 1745 events there is not room for posh civilians unless there is a house or some thing they can be in. If you want to do posh then its best to join the MM. However on the Jacobite camp we do have women who are both soldiers wives, and or relatives of the officers. This gives them scope to wear different clothing. Riding habits tend to be the order of the day for the officers wives. The soldiers wives can dress as English/lowland or Highland. Any of this is historically correct for the Jacobites.
The Government (Redcoat) camp is different. Women of better classes did not travel (in the same numbers) with Regts. on the march. Although there may have been a few (and there was a proportional rule I think) soldiers wives they would have been working types.
So if you wanted to come to an event you could hang out with Angie and the other lasses and you would be in good company. If you wanted to be a Redcoat soldiers wife you would need to aim for working class clothing.
There is also the opportunity to portray almost what ever you want at our Highwayman (Rogues and Thieves) events, this years is at Kedleston Hall (yes the one with The Duchess exhibition!).
PM me your number if you more info. Hijack over.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't hide! I just... don't go! :oops:

This is probably a really stupid question, but what's the difference between a skirmish and a battle? Is it just the size?

Would it be frowned upon to be part of both LW and MM? Or would that be needless because they're always at the same events anyway?

I'm a bit annoyed with myself, I wanted to check the suitability of my wool with someone at TORM but forgot to pack it in the morning rush! :roll: :evil:

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:47 pm

"Would it be frowned upon to be part of both LW and MM?"

Nah, there are a goodly number who are both LW and MM and NFOE as well (and several do muddyevil and Tudor and 17thC and Napoleonic and occasionally WWII too), like Steve Stanley said, very incestuous yer 18thC 'nactment......or just 'nactment in general really.

If you join LW Cobhams donkey wallop..... er Dragoons you can be a boy as well as a girl =o)

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.'

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Nar.... boying isn't my thing =D lol! and I don't have a pony :(

But the mixing groups thing is good - I'd hate for people to think I was spreading myself around because of lack of dedication to one group in particular!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:02 pm

You can join what ever group you like, however at the mention of biscuit tins and candles its best to leg it over to our camp. We have better food, musicians (as you know), and better booze.
In our group a skirmish lasts 20 minutes, we don't do battles (ones that actually happened) because we don't have 20000 members.
All of LW allows cross dressing but as Grymm says its mostly the Dragoons.
The MM in general don't come to LW events, I won't go into details here as to why but the MM (as Judith may have told you) are completley civilian but we aren't completley military (wait for some one to put that right).
For any further discussion you can ring me or PM your number and I'll call you.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Tod wrote:All of LW allows cross dressing but as Grymm says its mostly the Dragoons.

OOOOO! I'll dig me frock out an' molly up* weeeell I have joined the navy now :D

* Like the mob chasing the gypsies at the beginning of Brotherhood of the Wolf and not purely for recreational purposes.....honest.

Steve of RaT

Postby Steve of RaT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I've always thought it would be fun for a couple of large bearded blokes to moll up, and go to an officers tent :wink: to give his change from the night before. :twisted:

Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------
These views are not necessarily those of RaT, which usually are accompanied with a sulphurous smell.

Veni, Vidi, Aesculus hippocastanum

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm game if you are, let's do it, I'm not working COAM weekend so I get to come along this time......

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Tod, Angie put me in touch with Kerri Nicholls (I wonder if she's reading this?) who appears to be my local-est LW person of reference, with the added benefit of actually having met her!! The RaT is a subgroup of LW, isn't it..?

Do LW and MM cover the same time period?

Grymm - you in a dress???? :shock: :shock: :!:

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 pm

And stays and a rather fetching hat.....
Tod, will my shoes be ready by then?

Oh and yes they do cover the same period.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 pm

You'll have the best dressed head, no surprise there! ;)

Have you spoken to Judith yet? My inbox is oh so very empty.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:40 pm

lidimy wrote:Tod, Angie put me in touch with Kerri Nicholls (I wonder if she's reading this?) who appears to be my local-est LW person of reference, with the added benefit of actually having met her!! The RaT is a subgroup of LW, isn't it..?
:!:

Sub Group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cough splutter choke There should be an emicon for looking down nose over glasses at small blond girl who has just said exactly the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Now that I taken a deep breath and am a little calmer..............yes Kerry is a good person to speak to, her husband Corp. Paul (known as Teflon) is the Corp. of the Highland Army Flatland Division. He can tell you most things. Ask them if they'll give you a lift to events or Mark B (the bloke you stalk). They both live in Norfolk near Norwich (and can see each others houses due to the lack of hills).

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 pm

:oops: sorry - I feel sufficiently chastised -

Kerry said they're out Acle way, so not *that* close, but as you say a pair of binoculars would do the trick... and I'll definitely check to see which events they're doing so we could go together. 8)

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Grymm wrote:I'm game if you are, let's do it, I'm not working COAM weekend so I get to come along this time......

I'd be up for it too (I was once proclaimed my primary school's best ever Ugly Sister) except Kajte has banned me from wearing her stays and kirtle before she gets the chance to :( May have to see if it can be done at Pots n Pans ;)

Banyan chintz is on way though...

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 pm

lidimy wrote: The RaT is a subgroup of LW, isn't it..?

Decorates Keyboard with Coffee :twisted:

Lidi, please please warn me next time you're gonna talk to Tod like that.

I will require some kind of modern recording device to ensure his reaction is held for furure hilarity!

:D

Looking forward to seeing you at a future Gig.
Last edited by Redders on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:03 pm

It wasn't meant in a derogatory way!

I look forward to seeing YOU too!

Return to “General History”