What's wrong with the series Rome?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

craig1459
Post Centurion

What's wrong with the series Rome?

Postby craig1459 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:15 pm

Enjoyed it a lot - Pullo is the man - but no doubt there are loads of historical errors and dodgy kit on display.

Please enlighten me :)

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:15 am

Actually, overall it was pretty damned good historically and certainly the best attempt ever to portray the city itself as a real, living, breathing place of contrasts; from marbled halls to crappy backstreet taverns. Fantastic, especially all of the colours. All we tend to see today is the blank, white stone and marble, a bit like only seeing the Victorian whitewashed version of church interiors.

There were a few things sacrificed for the sake of storytelling.
The whole 'Augustus being mugged' in the first episode was a fabrication and you don't really get the feeling that 8 years pass throughout the series ( Octavius should be 11 at the start).

Oh, and Caesar was actually stabbed to death at a meeting of the Senate in a theatre built by Pompey, not in the Curia (which was being rebuilt after a fire). Ironically, he was standing at the base of a statue of Pompey at the time of his demise.
Last edited by Medicus Matt on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I never said that I was here to help."

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:30 am

Unfortunately I only saw about 3 episodes, I think I have a few more recorded somewhere, should probably get round to watching them at some point as I quite enjoyed what I saw....not in the looking at naked ladies sense, but I mean, well..yeah..but..you..um.. :oops:

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Thorlak

Postby Thorlak » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:47 am

That was a plus point :D

But as a whole it was a good series with plenty of violence :twisted:

Steven

Postby Steven » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:30 am

The rings on top of the Roman soldier's helms are dodgy. Aside from being depicted on Trajan's column the only actual find is something which someone around the 17th Century knocked up for a collector.

Gladiator costumes god awful.

Caesar's didn't die without saying something His last words were `Kai su, teknon?' (You too, child?) to Brutus (according to Suetonius, but don't believe him, because he's biased). He did pull his toga over his face to stop anyone seeing him die however.

As Matt says though - the setting though is the closest Rome has ever been depicted. Think dodgy parts of Mexico City and Delhi and you're probably on your way...!

The SK made me do it!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:28 am

Steven wrote:
Caesar's didn't die without saying something His last words were `Kai su, teknon?' (You too, child?) to Brutus (according to Suetonius, but don't believe him, because he's biased). He did pull his toga over his face to stop anyone seeing him die however.

I really liked that. I can just imagine the indignation around the world as he expired without uttering Shakespear's famous line...just giving him THAT look instead. Fantastic stuff.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:36 pm

What's wrong with it? I'LL TELL WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT! It was over too quick. I want MORE! MORE I tell you! :shock: :!:

Rhine Maiden

Postby Rhine Maiden » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 pm

I loved it! I was considering joining a medieval group, but the Roman period definitely has it's attractions! :lol:

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Apparently, the second series is going to be shown either late this year or early next year.

Either way, Wednesday nights are going to be bloody boring until then.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:36 pm

RM - yeah but Roman reenactors are ugly, really ugly, tell her Steve.

<ducks>

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

katy

Postby katy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:15 pm

[quote="gregory23b"]RM - yeah but Roman reenactors are ugly, really ugly, tell her Steve.quote]

Not all of 'em!
There's some fairly nice looking ones out there.

We've got weather harder than you!

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:19 pm

gregory23b wrote:RM - yeah but Roman reenactors are ugly, really ugly, tell her Steve.

<ducks>

huh, last time I hug you then! (pout)

Rhine Maiden

Postby Rhine Maiden » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:35 pm

gregory23b wrote:RM - yeah but Roman reenactors are ugly, really ugly, tell her Steve.

<ducks>

The thought of loin-cloths are a bonus though! :D

caroline

Postby caroline » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:36 am

Has anyone recorded the last episode? I have been away for the past couple of weeks and missed it. If so, pleeze, please can I borrow it? I will pay postage costs and if you are going to NLHF I'll buy you a plate of overpriced chips or a beer in return. PM me if you can put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Caroline

Forget injuries, never forget kindness - Confucius

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:45 pm

Ok, time to take my hat off and admit to knowing bog all about Roman history.

How accurate was the series in terms of storyline and how much is just dramatisation?

What were those ceremonial things that Ceasar's guard were carrying around- did they really look like a kiddies version of an M16? :D

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Laffin Jon Terris wrote:Ok, time to take my hat off and admit to knowing bog all about Roman history.

How accurate was the series in terms of storyline and how much is just dramatisation?

What were those ceremonial things that Ceasar's guard were carrying around- did they really look like a kiddies version of an M16? :D

They weren't Caesar's guard - they were the Fasces (from where the word facist comes) carrying the symbols of Roman law.

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:31 pm

Laffin Jon Terris wrote:Ok, time to take my hat off and admit to knowing bog all about Roman history.

Overall, the 'main' story (ie Caesar, Pompey and the end of the Republic) was pretty accurate. Some of the detail within that (eg Pompey's loss of the treasury) was changed in detail but still broadly accurate and a few bits (ie the attempted kidnapping of Augustus) didn't happen at all AFAIK.

Outside of that (ie the stuff about Pullo and the ginga) was mostly fictional events but set within an accurate context.

Oh, and the things that Caesar's men (the Lictors) were carrying were Fasces, bundles of birch rods wrapped around an axe. They were a symbol of authority carried before dictators, consuls, legionarry commanders and praetors (and Vestel Virgins I think).

David F

Postby David F » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:00 am

I enjoyed it, but young Octavian and his sister? Is this the same Octavian who as Caeser Augustus bannishes Ovid to a desert isle for his immoral verse?

I'm a militant agnostic-
If you don't believe as I do, I come round and burn a question mark in your lawn....

caroline

Postby caroline » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 am

David F wrote:I enjoyed it, but young Octavian and his sister? Is this the same Octavian who as Caeser Augustus bannishes Ovid to a desert isle for his immoral verse?

Yeh...but he didn't exactly rush to banish Ovid did he? He made sure he had read all his stuff first :twisted:

My fave...and the one that I think was the final straw...Ars Amatoria

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ovid/lboo/lboo58.htm

The Augustus I know and love was known to have ...er...shall we say...double standards when it came to the laydees...he was a right crafty bu**er...he may have been Mr Pious in public but not so in private....

Forget injuries, never forget kindness - Confucius

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49 pm

The symbology of the fasces was that the rods were the power of giving you a good flogging if you needed it and the axe was to administer a rather more terminal punishment that would save you having to buy any new hats.

Return to “General History”