15C Romani Images

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Langley
Post Centurion

15C Romani Images

Postby Langley » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Anyone got references to pictures of Romani people around late 15th C? Have found a few like Cranach the Elder one but while there is lots of written stuff on Romani history there is not a lot pictorial. Have seen references to a deal between Romani and James V of Scotland to try to recover "Little Egypt" for them but no other details. Anyone know more? (I know - early 16th C but wonder what was in it for him and how they got to talk to him). Also the leading US scholar of the Romani Ian Hancock states there were 2 Romani with Columbus on his second voyage. Anyone know the source? Thanks.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Not sure, but would love to see the answer from someone who knows about this.

Just a thought but what about Fool or Magician images from the earlier Tarot decks, like Visconti or Sola Busca? Not that they come from romani sources obviously, but is it poss there may be representations of 'vagabonds' or travellers? Be careful with version of Visconti if you're looking though as some have missing major cards which have been drawn by 20thC artists and off the top of me head can't remember if any version has an original Fool or not.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:38 pm

How about this, from the Spiezer Schilling (or Amtliche Chronik), a chronicle of Diebold Schilling the Elder of Berne (1480s).

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Are you sure these are Rom and not Jewish - I can't quite decifer the text.

Pointed hats and yellow badges were enforced for Jews in many of the communities in that part of Europe during the Mediaeval period.

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 pm

No, I'm not sure, they are described as 'getoufte heiden'. And I understand that it's generally accepted that he is writing about the influx of Roma to Bern in the late 15th, but I've not seen it in context myself.

I think it's online here in german. the pic is on page 749, perhaps you can figure it out, I can't
[url]
http://www.digibern.ch/schilling/[/url]

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Return to “General History”