archaeological examples of shields?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Malcolm

archaeological examples of shields?

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Hello all, I am a university student studying archaeology and a reenactor also, and for my dissertation i was hoping to research as far as i can into the composition and structure of shields from say 750 to 1250/1300AD ish, and what i'm really after is archaeological examples of shields during this period, i have yet to completely settle what my dissertation title will be, hence the broad spectrum.

Nonetheless i would really appreciate any links, refferences and especially pictures anyone could provide.

I am aware of this http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisand ... hield.html little online article on viking shields, and i'm looking for books on amazon, but it's hard to tell whats useful and what is as informative as yet another child's book going 'yay vikings!' :roll:

anyway, yes, feed me your information! :wink:

Tell me everything you know, even if it takes me ten days to understand, feed me knowledge.

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 am

Have you tried 'The Anglo Saxon Shield' by I P Stephenson (ISBN 0752425293)?

It's packed with archaeological examples, and is extremely useful on shield construction, decoration, use etc. up until the 10th/11thC. It also briefly covers the other main weapons used at this time.

Hope it helps,

Joolz

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 am

Ask the Royal Armouries at Leeds if they have any good references - if they can send you a "reading list" that will give you a good start The Stephenson book has a good bibliography as mentioned - better than a lot of Tempus books. Then it may be a case of going through BIAB to look for references to shields. To be frank it would probably be easier to find archaeoloogical evidence for earlier Anglo Saxon shields as they were buried with their owners and the metalwork corrosion products can preserve evidence for construction and materials - your period is probably lacking in "real" examples so you will be working from documentary and pictorial evidence and extrapolating from earlier and later examples.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:12 am

Joolz wrote:Have you tried 'The Anglo Saxon Shield' by I P Stephenson (ISBN 0752425293)?

It's packed with archaeological examples, and is extremely useful on shield construction, decoration, use etc. up until the 10th/11thC. It also briefly covers the other main weapons used at this time.

Hope it helps,

Joolz

Prefer Heinrich Harke's 'Early Anglo Saxon shields'- less supposition than Ian's book and lots of neatly layed out data.

However, as the scope of the dissertation is from 750 onwards, neither book is going to be of much use as all the evidence comes from early pre-Christian grave deposits. There's a later shield fragment from the Isle of Mann which shows a bit of paint but then i think you're out of luck for early medieval stuff in the UK.

A few examples of later foreign examples that I can think off of the top of my head:-

Gokstad ship shields. c. Mid 10th Cent.

Tira Bog, Latvia. 9th C (nice one because not only was it covered with leather front and back but it had grass underneath for padding).

One lime-wood one in the Landesmuseum in Zurich dated to 1180

One in the Armeria in Madrid, late 13th C.

Von Nordech shield, nationalmuseum in Munich. Late 13th C.

I know that there's a pic somewhere of a semi-intact kite shield but can't remember where it was.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:40 pm

thanks for all the advice/information so far guys :D
i'll try amazon for those books (I.P. stephenson/Heinrich Harke)

Medicus matt - would you have any refferences for where i can find more information on those examples, particularly the limewood 1180 one and i'd be particularly interested in any kite shields.

speaking of kite shields i recall vividly a mention of an existing kiteshield (i.e. been through a bit of modification, turned into a wall ornament, but still intact today) if i could find any examinations of that, or better still where it is so i can plead to see it if it's close enough, that would be more than brilliant.

Tell me everything you know, even if it takes me ten days to understand, feed me knowledge.

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 am

I think I remember somewhere reading about a kite shield that had been chopped off at the top (possibly re-shaped) to a flat section, but I can't remeber where. I think it might have been an oakeshot

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 am

Malcolm wrote:
Medicus matt - would you have any refferences for where i can find more information on those examples, particularly the limewood 1180 one and i'd be particularly interested in any kite shields.

I've pointed you in the right direction...you're a student; go do some research. :wink:

I'm on my hols for a week as of this afternoon so I'll see what I can find for you when I get back.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:44 am

The kite with the top sawn off appears on page 61 of the Osprey book "Norman Knight" in their Warrior series. It's German/Swiss, originally 12th century and modified around 1240, bearing the arms of von Brienz.
See
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... f%26sa%3DX

and scroll down to near the bottom of the page.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Brother Ranulf wrote:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reenactment.de/reenactment_start/reenactment_startseite/diverses/kitguide/brienz.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reenactment.de/reenactment_start/reenactment_startseite/diverses/kitguide/kitguide.html&h=404&w=250&sz=19&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=wG7Ee_gieNaF4M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvon%2Bbrienz%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX

and scroll down to near the bottom of the page.

I wish my German was better, that looks like a really interesting article.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

How much does Lukas charge for translation, Zauber?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:22 pm

guthrie wrote:How much does Lukas charge for translation, Zauber?

Good question!

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Here you go *click*.
Translated by Bable Fish, not perfect (shield becomes sign etc... :? ) but you'll get the idea.
And yes quite an interesting article. :D

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Return to “General History”