Peg Looms

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

The Admiral

Peg Looms

Post by The Admiral »

What period are these from - saw someone using one at Blore Heath last year and I'd love to have a go.

I've seen quite a few of them advertised, but thought I'd better check out whether or not they would be suitable for the WOTR period before parting with any hard earned cash!

If they aren't suitable for the period can anyone suggest some simple weaving that is appropriate as I'd love to try someone in the weaving line as it were for our Living History camp this year. (I already do lucetting and really enjoy it).
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

As I understand it they are firmly second half of twentieth century. Excellent way to introduce someone to weaving, but not in any shape or form a historical technique, ditto stick weaving which for some bizarre reason gets touted as 'viking' weaving occasionally

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Tablet weaving is always a reliable authenty job, and basic designs are not too hard to do. I sell small tablets for 50p each and bigger ones which are better for beginners to get their heads( and fingers) round for a pound each. You can start without a loom just tying them to your belt and a solid object such as a door handle or piece of furniture, so the initial investment is not too daunting in time or storage. You only need four tablets to give it a go and see if you like it enough to do more complex stuff.
Or you could always try a small rigid heddle, easier to thread and lots of options for creative patterns.
Braid is so useful for straps, garters, bag handles, decorating kit .
Good fun too.
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Uncle Bulgaria

Post by Uncle Bulgaria »

Agree with tablet and heddle, do both but find heddle probably much easier to learn as I use it with the kids at my demonstrations.

Also, a good one in finger weaving Tak V Bowes being a brilliant way to get introduced to that.

UB
This life must be a test, if it were the real thing we'd have been given better instructions.

The Admiral

Post by The Admiral »

Thanks for that guys, I might well give tablet weaving a try. Someone else has suggested finger braiding - would that be authenty or not?

Whilst I'm on the subject of 'Living History' what I'm really after is something that I could do in our camp when I'm not water carrying. cooking is not my forte and I'm not really very good at sewing, but enjoy lucetting so that's why I thought of weaving.

Any other suggestion??

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Spinning on a drop spindle?
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

The Admiral wrote:Thanks for that guys, I might well give tablet weaving a try. Someone else has suggested finger braiding - would that be authenty or not?

Whilst I'm on the subject of 'Living History' what I'm really after is something that I could do in our camp when I'm not water carrying. cooking is not my forte and I'm not really very good at sewing, but enjoy lucetting so that's why I thought of weaving.

Any other suggestion??
Get a decent crook knife and make spoons. (I suppose crook knives are medeival?) It would be a usefull hobby cos you caould make things to use/trade with other reenactors, and you could do research on spoons and use the carving as a lead in to talking to MOPs about peoples domestic equipment such as spoons, bowls and cups. there are some excellent books on the subject, and I think people are interested in that everyday stuff.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Miel

Post by Miel »

If you are going to the Colchester Oyster Fair, or the Berkley Skirmish, come and see TJ and myself on the excalibur Artifacts stand.

We make and sell most things required for small weaving and braiding all of which are able to be used during re-enactments.

These include: Box looms, tape looms, post looms, floor standing braiding looms (to order), Warp weighted looms (to order) tablets, heddles, beaters, shuttles, braiding rings (different sizes) lucets (two and four prong), netting needles, bobbins, tatting shuttles, and much more. We even sell tinder boxes.

We demonstrate and offer hands on lessons on our stand in everything we sell (except the warp weighted loom) and have a "play" table for anyone to have a go who wants to.

We also hope to be at David Smiths next event at Cressing Temple Barns and at at Rougham. We are always at the Warwick re-enactors market and will be at Kentwell 1588 for the entire event.

If all else fails - just PM us.
Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"

The Admiral

Post by The Admiral »

Thanks Miel, we're not attanding the Berkeley Skirmish as participants but I may be able to persuade Hubbie to go along as a MOP (it's not that far from us!)

Failing that we'll certainly be at the Re-enactors market, but I wanted to try and get something sorted before then if possible.

Thanks to everybody who's helped me out with this - I'm now trying to decide exactly what's the best way forward!

mogey

Post by mogey »

Miel wrote:We make and sell most things required for small weaving and braiding all of which are able to be used during re-enactments.
I've just worked out who you are - takes me ages to put a face to a name. :) (Although it is my daughter rather than I that re-enacts, I do enjoy weaving ;) )

Miel wrote:We also hope to be at ...Rougham.
When will that be (nice and close to us)

Chris

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

mogey wrote:
Miel wrote:We also hope to be at ...Rougham.
When will that be (nice and close to us)

Chris
Question seconded :D
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Miel

Post by Miel »

Sorry I forgot - the last event was held at Rougham but David has moved it to this location for this year. We just call it Rougham because that's where it started.

September 13th 14th, the East Anglian Medieval Festival, Cressing Temple, Essex. www.east-anglian-medieval-fayre.co.uk.

we are also going to this one - a bit more travel though ..

August 9th 10th, Bodelwyddan Medieval Festival, North Wales. www.medieval-fayre.co.uk

PS: Nice to know someone has worked out who we are. Ha ...
Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"