What's wrong with the film a Knight's Tale

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

BraveAnimal

What's wrong with the film a Knight's Tale

Postby BraveAnimal » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:44 pm

A dodgy one because it was in so many ways not meant to be historically correct. So any comments on music and costumes not being right.. DUH!

I know a jouster here in the Netherlands recently got a splinter in his eye, so the part about putting your head down before the blow makes sense.

The splintering of the lances isn't correct as they are made of softwood for safety. And it is so superbly and obviously made fun of in the film itself. Although I wonder, why would they risk their knightson a jousting when they could much better risk them on a battelfield somewhere.

Over to you..

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:03 pm

What's wrong with it?
Nothing, it's perfect...apart from that nude Gingga :wink:

"I never said that I was here to help."

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Wasn't Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein famous because of his penchant for parading about wearing womens' clothing?

Heath Ledger didn't spend enough time dressed as a woman - or does that not count because it's a criticism of the costume?

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:02 pm

I'll tell you what's right about it. Heath Ledger, he's dreamy. *swoon* 8)

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:07 pm

How about the fact that it was all plastic armour (cringes and shudders)
Wasn't the original Ulrich (who's armour resides in Churburg castle) like 7ft? A tower of a man.

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:34 pm

Yes it was all plastic armour, stunning work, it looks like metal, you have to touch it to realise it's plastic...seen it and touched it. Same person made the Roman armour for the opening scene in Gladiator.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:13 am

Jenn R wrote:Same person made the Roman armour for the opening scene in Gladiator.

Now that DID look pooh! Helmets made by someone who'd obviously never seen a picture of a roman helmet. Looked more like 17th century lobster-pots.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:20 am

Sorry I should have been more clear.....I only meant the body armour, well that's the only bit I saw, he might have made the helmets, but I couldn't say for definate.

Sorry :oops:

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:22 am

You must understand that armour isn't my thing....it looked good to me though.

katy

Postby katy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:20 am

There is nothing wrong with A Knights Tale due to the fact that Heath Ledger features in it! (Maybe naked shots of him and not Paul Bettany would have been better)
Although I recommend giving The Grimm brothers a miss, and also that thing Roar that he done when he was just starting out.

We've got weather harder than you!

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:25 am

He was fair to average in Sin Eater, I enjoyed that movie, although in my childlike foolishness I spent 3 nights awake for fear of my soul being eaten, and that was only last week.

BOOM BOOM

sigh.

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:01 am

I was curious about whether it is plausiable that a squire could learn to joust like that and actually be as good as the knights?

Some of the helmets in the sword fighting tournaments looked like SCA grilled helms, I think they sacrificed accuracy for being able to see the actors face but that's understandable.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:11 am

Ayliffe's Steve wrote:I was curious about whether it is plausiable that a squire could learn to joust like that and actually be as good as the knights?

Some of the helmets in the sword fighting tournaments looked like SCA grilled helms, I think they sacrificed accuracy for being able to see the actors face but that's understandable.

A Squire was a Knight in training, so he would have trained to be his Master's opponent so that his master could have someone to practice with.

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Lady Eleanor

Postby Lady Eleanor » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:19 am

If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, the director justifies the use of rock music and modern language (and face painting!) quite well - he says something along the lines of "just like there's kids' music and parents' music now, there was kids' music and parents' music then, and we're using modern rock music to show that this was something young and exciting for the 14th century crowds." etc... I actually really like the film - aside from it having the lovely Heath Ledger in it, I think it gets the atmosphere right, and there are lots of little bits in it that really sets the scene properly, like the storyteller telling Bible stories at one of the tournaments. I think the reason it does work is that it doesn't take itself too seriously - if it had tried too hard to be absolutely accurate to the period it would have spoiled it, because they wouldn't have got it right.

shade

Postby shade » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm

I like some of the lines eg before the groups goes of jousting Heather Ledger comments on having 13 pieces of silver & being on the road to Rouen - is that taken from Chaucer?

I'd say there's nothing wrong with the film as it was never advertised (I don't think) as being accurate - that's what hacks me off about alot of Hollywood "historical" productions

Shall I think of Honour as lies,
Or lament its aged slow demise

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:56 pm

I am so glad to hear these comments! I love this movie.. but I tend to watch things as a designer and so I really like the mix of modern and medieval to get the point across. See live is not that different, no matter what time you live in, we still sing, fight, cry, pray, laugh work and admire.*

I have tried not to swoon for Heath... but alas.. though Roar is horrible, I loved watching him in his leather trousers. I soon easily for men with dirty hair. ( especially wearing leather, metal and kilts.)

There I have confessed!

Really that armour is not metal? But I saw her forge it! :wink: It's a job well done, amazing! I like that it's a man doing the sewing, but Kate has to learn them how to dance!

*(from the dutch songwriter Ramses Sahffy Sing, vecht huil. bid lach werk en bewonder)

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:00 pm

I think the film was fine, it was just a good giggle......

........you mean armour never had a Nike 'tick' on it?

Or they made your evening wear out of your tent?

WW 8)

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:10 pm

I thought it was really boring, all he did was joust, confess his love to a woman he met once, joust/fight, write letters to said woman, joust/fight end.

little_red_mare

Postby little_red_mare » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:28 pm

heath ledger is lovley but Dusty the horse he jousts on is perfection

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:10 am

I think it's alright - what improves it alot is that it's not meant to be "authentic" and while there are loads of historical innaccuracies at least it brings certain concepts of medieval life to the general public. There are a lot worse films out there!

Aw, it's not easy, is it?

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:48 pm

I didn't like whats-her-face (the heroine) or her clothes, they clashed with the feel of the rest of the film. I thought it hightly amusing they put her in yellow for one scene, kind of changed the intention of it all ;)

Never mind boring ole Heath Ledger, I'll have James Purefoy and Rufus Sewell any day!

Did anyone see Rufus in Taming of the Shrew the other day? <swoon>

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:55 pm

JC Milwr wrote:Did anyone see Rufus in Taming of the Shrew the other day? <swoon>

Yawn...yes...sara1459 had the same reaction...

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:09 pm

JC Milwr wrote:I didn't like whats-her-face (the heroine) or her clothes, they clashed with the feel of the rest of the film. I thought it hightly amusing they put her in yellow for one scene, kind of changed the intention of it all ;)

Never mind boring ole Heath Ledger, I'll have James Purefoy and Rufus Sewell any day!

Did anyone see Rufus in Taming of the Shrew the other day? <swoon>

I must agree on that! My mom swoons for Purefoy as well (Rufus not so much) He was in some other film.. film was bad Purefoy was good..

Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:36 pm

Apparently, according to the DVD, James Purefoy was renamed James 'Puresex' by some of the crew... I'll drool over Sewell any day. What's really annoying is that the wedding scene in 'Taming of the Shrew' was filmed in the church I go to AND THE PARISH OFFICE DIDN'T TELL ME! Sulk!
(James Purefoy is also in 'Rome' on the Beeb at the moment.)

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Oh! I hardly recognised him in Rome! He did look familiar... gosh.. And sexier.. more rough looking..

I can see Rome on the BBC on wednesday and watch the rerun on monday on belgium tv.. haha! And rerun on sundays I believe on the BBC again..

Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

Lady Eleanor

Postby Lady Eleanor » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:51 am

little_red_mare wrote:heath ledger is lovley but Dusty the horse he jousts on is perfection

The horse was called Barney :)

nerf herder

Postby nerf herder » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 pm

JC Milwr wrote:I didn't like whats-her-face (the heroine)

neither did I - I MUCH preferred her lady-in-waiting type (French bird)

YES, I KNOW!!!!!! French an' all...................goes against my religion, etc. etc.

but she was much, much lovelier........

Nerfy

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there...."

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:10 am

A Knight's Tale is great. It does what it does with a big smile on its face and for that reason I don't care or even bother to try looking for what is "wrong" or "right"

:lol:

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 pm

got it on the shelf someplace, it is a good film that entertains :)

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:10 pm

Rufus Sewell has very strange eyes, and looks awful in a frock. However he is the best thing about Knight's tale, apart from Wat and the big fat bloke. And Kate. And Chaucer's bottom. And Heath L with dreds.

I particularly like the dance class scene.

'A 1-2-3 and twirly twirly twirly you can hit me all night 'cos you punch like a what? A GIRL!'

Return to “General History”