who would win?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Gyrth wrote
bastardised from Norseman
OK the Vikings did put it about a bit, but thats a bit harsh :D
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

Type16 wrote:Gyrth wrote
bastardised from Norseman
OK the Vikings did put it about a bit, but thats a bit harsh :D
Not really, was the only way to sort the cheese eating surrender monkeys out. :wink:
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

Who would win - that's easy.

The side that I'm on, obviously. 8)

(Except for Hastings, no victory, however sweet or well scripted is worth having to trudge up and down that hill all day, besides, if we don't let the Normans win, they sulk in the beer tent all night! :lol: )
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

The Methley Archer

Post by The Methley Archer »

The romans in open battle, but they are at a bit of a disadvantage in forests.

Did you know that Henry V mobilised the clergy (each armed acording to his status) to defend england whilst he went off on his holidays to France.
Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:Who would win - that's easy.

The side that I'm on, obviously. 8)

(Except for Hastings, no victory, however sweet or well scripted is worth having to trudge up and down that hill all day, besides, if we don't let the Normans win, they sulk in the beer tent all night! :lol: )
:roll: really :roll:
Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Romans overall but I would wonder how they would fare against handguns and multi barrelled guns, quite common in the 15thc. Not sure that WOTR armies would be that cohesive to withstand a full on encounter with armed and armoured dormouse busters.

Also suspect the archery might be negated somewhat by Roman shields.

If you get the Romans to close to contact then game over for the fox bummers.

Vikings would get stomped by WOTR, outclassed in tech and range, man for man ok, but they have to get close enough and in formation to do the damage.

Don't know anything about Huns, could be supermen for all I know.

But WOTr (late medieval) is a bind because of artillery, which if used properly could tear holes in Roman ranks (or others) not because WOTR is necessarily anything special.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

I suspect a Viking shield wall would get minced by a WOTR bill-block, because:

1. you cannot protect both your feet and your head at the same time with a small round shield
2. your sax/axe/sword is considerably shorter and lighter weapon than a bill.
3. your opponents can fight three or four ranks deep.
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

zauberdachs wrote:I suspect a Viking shield wall would get minced by a WOTR bill-block, because:

1. you cannot protect both your feet and your head at the same time with a small round shield
2. your sax/axe/sword is considerably shorter and lighter weapon than a bill.
3. your opponents can fight three or four ranks deep.
1- Shields aint that small - and we dont ahve to fight in shield wall.
2 - Agreed but we fight against spears that are up to 7' long, adn there are ways of getting through a spear block
3 - so can ours, but if we go open order, your funked. :wink:

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:1- Shields aint that small - and we dont ahve to fight in shield wall.
2 - Agreed but we fight against spears that are up to 7' long, adn there are ways of getting through a spear block
by open order you mean by yourself against four ranks of bill men? ;)
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
Hobbitstomper wrote:
Gyrthofhwicce wrote: So if the Normans win, that means the Vikings win by default? :D
When did the Vikings beat the Normans?

Or do you just mean that Vikings are like the Normans but just less civilised?
The clue being Norman is bastardised from Norseman, Viking, ergo, Vikings win. :wink:
Sort of. There was half a century of the civilising influence of smelly cheese, good wine and barbecued lamb in between.

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

When considering infantry vs. infantry, do remember that the most common weapon on the field will be the spear. All armies, all time periods up to and including today (OK so we now call it a bayonet on the end of a rifle but it is still basically a spear) So, ignoring missile weapons, the WOTR bill block is going to face a spear block (whose front ranks, if Viking, are protected by large round (or kites if late period) shields).
The only exception to this would be the Romans AFTER they had thrown their pilums - assuming that the Romans are regular Roman troops and not spear armed auxilliaries.
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

I think the big difference will be armour and training. Plate armour is really tough compared to everything else and training differs a lot to.

Everyone else is using hitty or pokey sticks and the exact type of hitty/pokey stick doesn't make much of a difference.

Gyrthofhwicce

Post by Gyrthofhwicce »

zauberdachs wrote:
Gyrthofhwicce wrote:1- Shields aint that small - and we dont ahve to fight in shield wall.
by open order you mean by yourself against four ranks of bill men? ;)
And i'd think it none to many :wink: