12th-13th C axe haft length

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Greg G.

12th-13th C axe haft length

Post by Greg G. »

Have a new axe coming to complete the Crusader weapons. Patterned the head off the Maciejowski Bible plates, but not sure how long to make the shaft. The head is around 28cm tip to tip and 16cm haft to edge and is currently mounted on a 66cm haft. That seems a bit short to me, but I can't really tell how long the plates show them to have been. Any ideas would be most welcome. Also, I'm guessing by the drawings and by what I've been told, that the axe was just carried in the belt. Is this correct? Many thanks!

Mark GRaves

Post by Mark GRaves »

Probably about 1.5m or so judging from the following mac bible image:

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/ ... tm16rb.gif

However, in other views, they tend to be background depictions (as far as I can recall), but stand well above the heads of the throng - 2m even dependign on your stature??

(i.e. a bit big to hang on your belt)

However, groups like The Vikings tend to have a rule that long axes should stand no higher than the users chin (anyone from the Vike, forgive me if I've got the exact rule wrong).
Mark Graves
The Household , &,

Conroi du Burm - "The Conroi du Burm is not dead, just sleeping under a hill until needed."

Greg G.

Post by Greg G. »

Thanks Mark. That's actually one of the plates the head was patterned off of. I think the 1.5m should be about right. I'm 1.9m tall, so it should be easy enough to carry.

egfroth

Post by egfroth »

Easier to use, too, as I discovered when I cut my axe-shaft down a bit. Made a huge difference in combat.