Use of Horses in Re-enactment

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

Ha! The number of times that I have driven past the racehorse museum!! LOL!!! Shall have to go!

Been to the national stud and that is really cool as well.
Aw, it's not easy, is it?

RTB

Post by RTB »

Don't forget, that if you get someone who is 6' 3" on a 14.2hh pony, it will look a bit daft.
If you're going to do just one period, get a horse that suits that particular period. If you already have a horse, try and do the period that suits the horse. A lot of horses can do plenty of periods. Our Fells could concievably do roman right through to late medaeval (although not as knights chargers, more as squires horses/hobilar mounts). Not everyone wants to be a shiney knight right?
I'm not one to say what people should and shouldn't do, if they're having fun so what, but the use of thoughrough breds and huge shire type horses should be avoided if at all possible.

Oh, and the myth that horses won't step on people is bo##x! I have just come out of hospital after nine days, having fallen from my horse, relativley un-harmed, only to have her recover and stand on my leg. I now have some great scars, and great big metal rod on the inside of my bone!
The horse, Seren, was un-hurt.

Chris
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

Ouch!

The RA did a Norman Knight demo charging a shield wall, and it was rather impressive by all accounts.

Have also seen some trotting horses in a dodgy parade somewhere break free because they were intentionally spooked by some t*at, resultining in the three/four of them galloping full pelt down the street, over a row of people and chairs etc. Needless to say they carried on.....

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

Thanks Chris for that comment!

And get well! Indeed horses WILL step on you and knock you over.. no doubt about that in my book!

As for the 6'3'' I still have not the hang of the english non metric system..

My horse is 1,38 m and I am 1,65 m I hear that we do look good together. I will grab the oppertunity to post a pic here:

* WARNING not archeologically correct, not by a long shot!*

I can't remeber where, but a saw the smallest and thinnest of girl sitting on a shire or some other huge breed. Though she had lovely tack on her horse and a nice costume, it didn't look right to me..

RTB

Post by RTB »

I took part in the (nearly)100 horse charge at Hastings in 2000. That was a great feeling against that sheild wall! :D
Going back to what you said about horses being spooked. As a rider you can anticipate only so much, plus there'll always be one idiot ready to spoil it and do something stupid.

Chris
(leg in air and pi$$ed of with doing NOTHING!)

RTB

Post by RTB »

BraveAnimal for your information:

6' 3" is approx 1.90m
25.4mm is 1 inch
4 inches to the hand.

I have a bit of time on my hands! Although going to the toilet takes some forward planning!

Chris

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

Wow, 100 horse charge sounds like real fun! Not really bothered myself about jousting - more into lighter horse/hobilar stuff.

Nice horse pics above BTW!

RTB

Post by RTB »

Chickun, I believe that they are doing a big one again in 2006 on the weekend of the original battle (14th Oct). If you can, get there, 100 horses charging up Senlac Hill is quite something!
We do a hobilar image, hardly ever exposed, but that goes back to the original argument about organisers thinking that the public want "knights tale" type jousting. Whereas a hobilar image, or a Border Reever image (in the right areas) can be just as entertaining.

Chris

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

Yeah I may well see if I can make it, if only for that! It's supposed to be a rather large event I believe?

IMHO for late 15th C hobilars are much more valid troop types in England, with heavilly armed knights/men at arms fighting on foot of course.

little_red_mare

Post by little_red_mare »

yes chickun i too have driven past the museam so many times and lived in the next village up for the last 20 years and went there for the first time in january

as for hastings the cavalry charge next year will be big and fun

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

You can't be that far away from me then! If you get a chance go to the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge, they have a fair smattering of equestrian kit from most periods.

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

RTB wrote:I have a bit of time on my hands! Although going to the toilet takes some forward planning!

(leg in air and pi$$ed of with doing NOTHING!)

One should not post such things so close together! It might give people idea's on how you use the lava-tree

Thanks! A hand should thus be app 10 cm (11.2) But then how much is a foot? I do think dat ' means a foot? And '' is an inch? Right?

I heard about the 100 horse charge! I really hope to be present next year.. That would be awesome to see, dare I dream to ride in?!
It takes a lot to spook my horse so I can honestly say that any horse can be spooked! What happens after that is what is important. Does he just jump and look for the dangerous being that spooked him? Or does he jump and bolt and runs for the ocean?

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

A foot, represented by ' is 12 inches (three hands).

What I find ironic is when they don't bat an eyelid going past a big vehicle but then totally freak out at some odd patterns in the mud in front of you :roll:

RTB

Post by RTB »

It is strange at what they spook at. One of our horses, Uther, was biting Saxon sheilds at Hastings, took no real notice (had to be pulled back!) of schilltrons at Bannockburn, and took about two minuets to break to drive. Having said that, a black bin-liner will have him running for the hills.
Strange things horses, however the cr*p only comes out at one end!

Chris

Chickun

Post by Chickun »

yeah totally! I used to have a thoroughbred a few years ago that was fine with big, noisy farm machine running around at full speed unloading the big bales of straw from the back of a flat bed truck. Went right up next to it and was no problems. He'd then proceed to rear at cattle, spook at plastic bags (a classic!) and generally be a bit of a tit at the most innocuous of things.

The solid chap that we've got now is pretty good really, all he does is sort of spread his feet a bit and "drop" a bit like a cat at pheasants and things like that, but aside from that he's fine.

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

* nods head so hard in acknowledegment that she starts to look silly and collegues are peeping over their cubicles to see what is wrong.*

( I know what is wrong.. my spelling the word cubicles.. I don`t know what is right though)

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

As a horse person of my acquaintance once sagely said, horses spook at plastic bags because dragons live in plastic bags. They also spook at sparrows, because sparrows, as any fule no, breathe fire and eat horses.

Get well soon with the leg.

Beastie, looking at the pics you are owned by a very beautiful hobbit-pony! Oh, and the slim lass with the shirehorse may have been Natalie and Moomin. Moomin is one of the loveliest horses, but too sweet tempered to be a Destrier.

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

ps, cubicles is spelled like that!

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

Cat wrote:ps, cubicles is spelled like that!

really! huuuzaaH! heheeh..I reckon it`s an american word though?

I like your theory about the dragons and plastic bags.. Over here we consider our horses are spooked of very fast `kabouters`( gnooms) not to be confused with teh garden variety, which move so slowly that they are visible to us, yet not fast enough to see them move. Whereas teh fast kind move so fast that only horse can see them. And they are of course extremely dangerous!!

Hobbit pony indeed! He has me well trained on getting his elevenses for him on time!
I am not sure who`s picture I saw. But I was slightly jealous of course! big horses keep me in thrall ( yes I read La belle dame sans merci!) no matter how much I love my down sized one..

RTB

Post by RTB »

Cat wrote:
Get well soon with the leg.

Beastie, looking at the pics you are owned by a very beautiful hobbit-pony! Oh, and the slim lass with the shirehorse may have been Natalie and Moomin. Moomin is one of the loveliest horses, but too sweet tempered to be a Destrier.

Thanks Cat, I am very bored.
I believe Moomin was one of the few horses to make Bucket look "regular sized". Nice and gentle horse he is.

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

RTB- I've still got that picture on my wall.
For those that don't know Bucket, it is a picture of a 6foot 8inches (2 metres?) tall 18 stone man on an 18 (?) hand horse.
They both looked normal size!

Beastie, I love the gnomes idea! Fast kabouters and slow kabouters...

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

No one's ever called me beastie before.. makes me feel all 'ppreciated inside!.. sweet..

Does your leg have to stay up long RTB?
Last edited by BraveAnimal on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

RTB

Post by RTB »

The leg isn't in plaster, as it has titanium pins in it. Poss a couple of weeks elevated, return to work in 5 months!
I don't know when I'll return to riding,

Chris

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

five months!!!!

( my guess is you`ll be riding before that.. heheh)

Might I ask what you have done to deserve this? Or is that someweher on this forum already?

like dragon ( who reside in plastic bags) I am curious of nature..

RTB

Post by RTB »

BraveAnimal wrote:

Might I ask what you have done to deserve this? Or is that someweher on this forum already?

Walking along, fell off as we were going round a left corner (horse had tripped), and I skitted along the ground. So far so good. Horse then recovered, and carried on walking, standing on my leg as she did so.
b**ger!

Chris

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

*Auch!* oeh.. that sounds very painfull.. Time most have slowed to the speed of the last bit of sirrup out of the bottle for you. Though I am glad to hear the horse was okay. Much get well soons for you..

auch!

RTB

Post by RTB »

Thanks,
:D

Chris

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

RTB wrote:
BraveAnimal wrote:

Walking along, fell off as we were going round a left corner (horse had tripped), and I skitted along the ground. So far so good. Horse then recovered, and carried on walking, standing on my leg as she did so.
b**ger!

Chris

The horse didn't see a can of lager did it?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Pimperella

Post by Pimperella »

eeeeekkk! Chris! Sarra told me about the leg!
All that riding in battle and then smashing it up a quiet hack.
Lots of love and healing for your poorly leg.

I looking forward so much to getting my 2 ponies (welsh section a and section c) in January. I'm too much in too nice quiet hacks nowadays but I'm sure in the future my 2 year old son Beren will be war charging, he's built like a tank as it is. We have to settle for the grand tornament of
me and hubby being the horses and the kids with pipe laggin as we charge up and down the livingroom while they smack each other (and us) as we charge past!
oh what safe fun! hell on my knees however.

picture is (i hope) of Nimue, she belonged to Chris as his roman chariot pony now as a show pony for my niece.
Attachments
Nimue and Katelyn.jpg

Post by Guest »

Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Sorry to be late - but I've only just looked at the forum for the first time in years.

I like the talk of accidents.

In october I spent the last Saturday pegging and doing sabre work on someone elses horse - all fine and dandy.

Sunday went for a gentle hack on my own mare when she had a flip out and landed me in hospitol. A mixture of speed, gravity, tree roots and kidneys - not a good mix.

Here's an early pic (It got worse)

Looking forward to Senlac ridge this year :D