11thC. Anglo-norman castle in Normandy needs you!

Job adverts for re-enactors, schools, film, tv and events organisers please post here.

Moderator: Moderators

gallois

11thC. Anglo-norman castle in Normandy needs you!

Postby gallois » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:06 pm

As usual I have no idea where to post my message on the forum so I will start here and maybe a moderator will tell me if its the right category or not :)
2 years ago our association, Heritage-Historique, bought the ruined castle at Chateau-sur-Epte. The castle has been in ruin since it was dismantled by Mazarin in the 16th century. However, it has been in private hands and the grounds have been lived in until the 1980's. Since then the site has been left abandoned and has been reclaimed by mother nature. Our first year was primarily taken up by brush and shrub removal from the internal areas of the castle and we are now in the process of attacking the moat and doing repairs to buildings in danger of further deterioration.
I am hoping that some of you have the time, energy and enthusiasm to come and help with the renovations? In fact we would be open to the idea of people living here and participating in a living history project. Naturally places are limited and priority would be given to those with the appropriate skill sets. Masons, carpenters, smiths, etc.
The chateau is approximately one and a half hours from the nearest ferry crossing and the same from Paris. The area is quiet countryside with the nearest village pub 2 kilometres away and the market town of Gisors is 15 minutes by car.
For those interested in more information please contact me via the forum in the first instance and I will send website and email info.
Thanks for reading

"A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.
The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
And a foreign king for a mark!"

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: 11thC. Anglo-norman castle in Normandy needs you!

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Very interested!

more details to mark@griffinhistorical.com please

All the best,

Griff

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:37 pm

gallois wrote:As usual I have no idea where to post my message on the forum so I will start here and maybe a moderator will tell me if its the right category or not :)
2 years ago our association, Heritage-Historique, bought the ruined castle at Chateau-sur-Epte. The castle has been in ruin since it was dismantled by Mazarin in the 16th century. However, it has been in private hands and the grounds have been lived in until the 1980's. Since then the site has been left abandoned and has been reclaimed by mother nature. Our first year was primarily taken up by brush and shrub removal from the internal areas of the castle and we are now in the process of attacking the moat and doing repairs to buildings in danger of further deterioration.
I am hoping that some of you have the time, energy and enthusiasm to come and help with the renovations? In fact we would be open to the idea of people living here and participating in a living history project. Naturally places are limited and priority would be given to those with the appropriate skill sets. Masons, carpenters, smiths, etc.
The chateau is approximately one and a half hours from the nearest ferry crossing and the same from Paris. The area is quiet countryside with the nearest village pub 2 kilometres away and the market town of Gisors is 15 minutes by car.
For those interested in more information please contact me via the forum in the first instance and I will send website and email info.
Thanks for reading

Is this the castle that you are talking about? Image
as Wikipedia states that since 1926 it's been listed as a historical monument (and therefore I was wondering how the French government were taking the idea?)

Annie the Arrow

Postby Annie the Arrow » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Is this the castle that you are talking about?
as Wikipedia states that since 1926 it's been listed as a historical monument (and therefore I was wondering how the French government were taking the idea?)[/quote]

Henri De Ceredigion There will be a grant available for up to 20% of the work, through something call The Fondation. The French government have a totally different approach to historic buildings. There are also grants available for properties of major historical or architectural interest through the préfecture. The level of these grants can be quite substantial, up to 40% of the cost of works.. Its a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare as the French love paperwork, but it can be done.

"For he(the bow), any old stick will do. But arrow will get deer”.
Ishi, last of the Yaqui Amerindians of California

Boga Sceal Strale
A Bow Shall Be For Arrows

madjon

Postby madjon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 am

If you want a slightly crazy archaeologist with fortifications experience, a mumber of practical and historic skills, I am looking for work at present, any more details?

Montsegur

Postby Montsegur » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:31 am

Heading south (ish) from Rouen on the A139/13/28 towards Le Mans you pass next to this chateau: up on a hillside looking down towards the Seine.

Annie is right about support from the Fondation du Patrimoine, although it is complicated, usually 50% tax relief, but with grants being available if the owners pay little or no income tax.
And, yes, there is much bureaucracy, and the rules change almost every year without warning.
Our local village has a 12thC listed church where a restoration project should have started 5 years ago. The paperwork involved is a small forest - and although Paris approved proposals in 2012, money is always delayed because of rule changes.

Scotland's Festival of History
http://www.scotlandsfestivalofhistory.co.uk

OneMan

Postby OneMan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 am

Hello Brothers ! I m Florian, I m 26 years old, im inlove with medieval times and animals, especially horses and dogs, i have a big collection of medieval collectibles backhome. i worked as an equestrian guide 6 years almost. going with the most 40 horses and tourists on the mountain, I can do horsestunts, i can shoot traditional bows very well, i can fight with medieval weapons, im helpfull in this kind of area and animals grooming, I m doing it good because its passion. As in Romania, where i m from, medieval jousting and reenactment its not so well known, i ve worked alot to earn money to come in UK , where i tought its the place for this kind of passion.But i ll move to any country to do this, I m a man o principles and reliable as only a knight can be ! I m searching for job, or even volunteering if i have acommodation and food. in this area, medieval jousting, reenactment, i would live happy forever in a medieval museum village or settlement. I can send some photos if you want, and i ll answer to any question you want. You can change my life and earn a brother for life ! please think about this and let me know, Sorry for my bad english and thank you ! Florian Miutu

OneMan

Postby OneMan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:06 am

I would be happy to live there for the rest of my life, is this possible ?

colin

Postby colin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Sounds nice,send details please.

OneMan

Postby OneMan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:31 pm

i would like to live there, is this possible ?

gallois

Re: 11thC. Anglo-norman castlThe De in Normandy needs you!

Postby gallois » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Some interesting comments, thanks.
With regard to the location the castle is actually due east from Rouen on the road to Paris (Cergy-Pontoise) the D6014 passes within a kilometre. This was traditionally the road used to transport herring from the ports to the Paris markets.
We know all about bureaucracy and the Monument Historique. There are in fact 3 authorities responsible for French archeological sites and they dont see eye to eye. This makes our project even more complicated. However, we hear that the 3 depts are soon to be amalgamated into one department.....not that this will speed up any due process though!
Those of you who would like more information can find our website at http://www.chateaunormand.fr/ its still in French Im afraid as its my job to translate it to english and my french isnt so good :(
We would be happy to have people come and help but we also desperately need people who could help search the archives in the UK for information about the various occupiers. If this is your forté please email me at haydneason@gmail.com for details.
thanks

"A long bow and a strong bow,

And let the sky grow dark.

The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,

And a foreign king for a mark!"

Return to “Re-enactors Wanted”